Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2018
Hit the ball!
play by the rules and on a level playing field and I guaranty Airbahl would not have the success she has had. She would likely still have the gaudy record with OU's gaudy offense but the ERA would be likely 2-3+ and K's would be down considerably. Need the science guy in to give the stat on what a 62 mph pitch released at 40 feet vs 36 feet is since the pitchers dragging are getting off typically 3 feet from the mound on release.

Jun 8, 2016
1 Hope Trautwein Oklahoma .13
2 Georgina Corrick South Fla. .42
3 Melissa Paz Morgan St. .54
4 Lauren Shaw UCLA .56
5 Courtney Coppersmith UMBC .59
6 Mariah Mazon Oregon St. .62
7 Jordyn Bahl Oklahoma .80
8 Makinzy Herzog Texas A&M .82
9 Nicole May Oklahoma .86
10 Kya Matter UMBC .93

You really think Bahl's ERA would be 2.5 runs more when her teammates have ERAs of 0.13 and 0.86? Come on now..they haven't really played anybody.

Jun 6, 2018
You know for sure that the bolded is a fact..?? That is a pretty bold statement there Ms. Conway..
I see the pics people use for comparison of these big time pitchers that come off and the majority are barely off the ground where Bahl is visibly off the ground and those that have called her games have made comment that she has less than 5 pitches a game where she might have thrown legally, and almost all of them have been the change-up.

If you can point to someone coming up as high and consistently every pitch then fine but I know I watched Florida/Alabama, Ole Miss/KY, FSU, Michigan, etc. and I am not seeing the pitchers jumping off the mound getting out and releasing as close to the plate as Airbahl is and you can't tell me that she would be getting out that far without leaping off the mound like she is. She is a good pitcher/athlete and if she would learn to pitch legally I am sure she could be successful, especially with the OU run support but she wouldn't be dominating like she is with the tremendous advantage she is getting by releasing so close to the plate.

Jun 8, 2016
I see the pics people use for comparison of these big time pitchers that come off and the majority are barely off the ground where Bahl is visibly off the ground and those that have called her games have made comment that she has less than 5 pitches a game where she might have thrown legally, and almost all of them have been the change-up.
You didn't say big time pitchers...you said nobody in which case all I need to prove by contradiction is to show you one pitcher in college softball who leaps like her..

Jun 8, 2016
The rule is there, they should enforce it for EVERYBODY every time it happens (or at least when they see it), not just the ones who do it more egregiously, or who dominate, or who play for a team you don't like 🤷‍♂️ If they cannot do that, or are unwilling to, then get rid of the rule. Pretty simple.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

If you can point to someone coming up as high and consistently every pitch then fine but I know I watched Florida/Alabama, Ole Miss/KY, FSU, Michigan, etc. and I am not seeing the pitchers jumping off the mound getting out and releasing as close to the plate as Airbahl is and you can't tell me that she would be getting out that far without leaping off the mound like she is. She is a good pitcher/athlete and if she would learn to pitch legally I am sure she could be successful, especially with the OU run support but she wouldn't be dominating like she is with the tremendous advantage she is getting by releasing so close to the plate.
I'm not defending Bahl. In fact, I think she should be called illegal on every pitch, too. But, if you saw FSU versus VA Tech yesterday, you'd see Emma Lemley was called for 5-6 illegal pitches in which you could clearly see a large space between her foot and the ground. Really, it's up to the umpires to call it.

As Hillhouse mentioned yesterday, umps get reviewed by the coaching staff after games. I suspect being Gasso has some pull in who gets the OU games. Call a bunch of illegal pitches on Skippy, don't do anymore OU games.

And, as much as it pains me, Pattar is right. 😉 OU has four wins against ranked opponents. With their Gas House Gorilla lineup, they'd still be 36-0 without her ERA being so low.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Leapish'ing~ This ongoing conversation while it may be about applying rules. And people who see what's happening as illegal and being allowed to continue what is this discussion really about...
Seriously there are so many discrepancies continually throughout the game that is just one.

Do people really think thats how come Jordan Bahl is pitching so well? is that the reason she is defeating all these batters? And winning all these games?

That answer is NO.

*And the reason sayng NO
is simply because everybody notices there's a heck of a lot of pitchers that are leaving the ground a little bit and they don't have the same success that she does.

Not only that but... for a fact even when pitchers were throwing from a closer distance of 40 ft. When pitchers truely dominated the game, had even better pitching era than today's top pitchers and there were some
leaping, hopping and leapish'ing...
WE could still BEAT (on occaision)
THE BEST PITCHERS IN THE WORLD

This post while was originally about one person's name is really about a topic that she may be exhibiting...
imo
This thread needs to start focusing on how many OTHER pitchers are
leapish'ing
who do not have the success that Jordan Bahl has.
*Because those statistics are incredibly relevant to the discussion if you think Jordan Bahl is actually having an advantage.
(But,
Even facts like those wont matter to
the rule followers...and...
For the people who are constantly watching rules and feet you will continue to do so.)

What i read are some shallow comments to her success...which seem to incredibly overlook the massive increase overall of batting averages that hitters have in Fastpitch now.

Broaden thinking horizons and recognize the Batters have been given so many more opportunities to be far more competitive than they ever were in the past to even consider thinking that this pitcher is being so successful because of those illegal'ish interpretations is absolutely silly.

it is without a doubt if the pitchers were throwing from 40 ft again and doing the same pitching mechanic issues that people are noticing in today's game(which is an old topic)
*with the yellow rocket flight ball
there would still be higher batting averages in todays game from 40 ft than in the past.

To that I say...
Move the pitching to 40 feet again and
Let the winners win!
💪🫀

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Given the chance it may happen, should she practice sans leap?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Maybe she does practice it, I'm not there. There's a lot of things I probably could say but, I don't feel comfortable doing in an open forum.

My hunch is, she practices being legal. And pitching legal is probably like figuring out the umpire's strike zone: how much can I get away with before being called? Same as throwing pitches, if I throw this drop at the knees and it's a strike, my next pitch should be lower. If that's called a strike, I'll throw it even lower. And then lower until the umpire stops calling it. Heck, I'll roll the ball to the plate if the umpire will call it!!!!! And sometimes this philosophy happens with other aspects of the game: illegal pitches is one of them. How high/far can I jump before it's called illegal?

Now it's very easy for anyone reading this to say "She shouldn't jump at all!" And there's truth to that. And my only counter point will again be, I'd be 100% ok with not jumping, going back to 2 feet on the rubber, etc. as soon as Jocylen Alo swings a wood bat and hits a cork center ball that eventually goes soft. As long as one side (hitters) are given more and more advantages: bats, balls, smaller strike zone, keeping the fields at 200', etc. pitchers will continue to find some way to counter against that. I don't think the writers of the softball rule books had polycore balls and composite bats in mind when they wrote the rules about a pitcher needing to stay grounded.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55