Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Seems it wasn't an issue last year. Big fan of Alexander but if this isn't called in regionals its not called in opening weekend.
View attachment 25045
This! Where were all the "Leaping" haters during the 2021 Women's College World Series? I went to the JMU website during the WCWS, and on their home page, they had a high definition pic of Alexander in mid pitch a solid 3" off the ground.

Jul 31, 2015
Going from 1.51 K per inning to 1.25.... seems the illegal pitch calls had little impact at all. I'd say the small decline is more likely explained from pitching almost 300 innings and 52 appearances in 2019. Fatigue and batters seeing her more had a bigger impact than illegal pitch calls.... but believe what you want.

Going from averaging 10.5 Ks to less than 9 Ks per 7 innings is, ahem, statistically significant.

And it lasted for an entire season, so maybe she was chronically fatigued - ?

OK I'll back off.

But seriously -

Bahl, Barnhill, Alexander, and others are amazing ball players; the way they pitch is a feat of human athleticism. But they do pitch, for the most part, illegally under the current rules.

Most people on here think I want to rip them down when I say that.

But it's actually the opposite - there is no reason on Earth young women shouldn't be allowed to pitch the same way as grown men playing the same game. The hopping, leaping, etc. rules should be changed to make the game equal between genders.

Until then, the rules should be enforced. Because, like, what's the point of having them if they aren't?

Most people, even many of the "experts" on this forum, have no idea what a crow hop actually is.

I did a quick read-up on the history of why crow hopping and leaping were banned in the women's game. Best I can tell is that ASA wanted to ban replanting, but most umpires couldn't tell the difference between a hop/replant and a leap, so they required women to keep in contact with the ground at all times - quite an inelegant solution.

High time to revisit the hopping, leaping, replanting rules, and provide umps with better training if needed.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
I did a quick read-up on the history of why crow hopping and leaping were banned in the women's game. Best I can tell is that ASA wanted to ban replanting, but most umpires couldn't tell the difference, so they required women to keep in contact with the ground at all times - quite an inelegant solution.

High time to revisit the hopping, leaping, replanting rules, and provide umps with better training if needed.
Replanting is not illegal. Crow Hopping is. While crow hoping usually involves a replant, "replanting" by itself does not make it a crow hop.

NFHS Umpire training video.

Jul 31, 2015
Replanting is not illegal. Crow Hopping is. While crow hoping usually involves a replant, "replanting" by itself does not make it a crow hop.

NFHS Umpire training video.

Thanks.

You've identified the problem well - umpires had a hard time, esp in real time, distinguishing between replanting, hopping, and hopping/replanting.

So the solution was to ban all airborne activity, including leaping, in the women's game.
Similar changes were not made to the men's game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves