Issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
Just starting to work on DD's swing. DD steps her front foot back when hitting live or off the machine. I had my son keep his foot behind her front foot so she couldn't step out. This worked but she doesn't finish her swing when he did this. Everything went weak after contact.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I use a home made stride box for hitters who do this. I have them back their heels to the edge of it so that they can't step out, or open up. I actually had one girl a few years ago at 10U that would literally step out of the box.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
We use a 5 gallon plastic bucket full of concrete sometimes. You step against it with just the big toe of the lead foot on the ground, the rest of foot against the bucket. The bucket is straight out parrallel with feet. It helps with not stepping out towards the dugout and will help control stride length if that is needed
The hip drive/weight shift (rear side of body) will drive the front heel down.

You can watch video of my DD doing a reverse hand swing to help feel the lead arm pull the bat all the way through the ball. Lead arm will straighten out/or almost straighten out.

SL

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just starting to work on DD's swing. DD steps her front foot back when hitting live or off the machine. I had my son keep his foot behind her front foot so she couldn't step out. This worked but she doesn't finish her swing when he did this. Everything went weak after contact.

Which is it "steps out" or "steps back"?
Steps out isn't always a bad thing.
Bautista_overhead.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
We use a 5 gallon plastic bucket full of concrete sometimes. You step against it with just the big toe of the lead foot on the ground, rest against bucket. The bucket is straight out parrallel with feet. It helps with stepping out and will help control stride length if needed

You can watch video of my DD doing a reverse hand swing to help feel the lead arm pull the bat all the way through the ball. Lead arm will straighten out/or almost straighten out.

SL

Reverse hand drill gif:
BustosStraightleg.gif

Bustos steps out a little also (on this pitch).

Oct 10, 2011
We use a 5 gallon plastic bucket full of concrete sometimes. You step against it with just the big toe of the lead foot on the ground, rest against bucket. The bucket is straight out parrallel with feet. It helps with stepping out and will help control stride length if needed

SL

We did this with my DD thanks to SL suggestion about a year ago. That bucket comes in handy when it snows too...I put it in my trunk to weigh it down:) We did eventually go back to a "no-stride" approach which is working fantastic.

May 18, 2009
She steps about 8 inches/a foot length back/away from where her feet are lined up. Not toward the pitcher but away from the plate.

Apr 1, 2010
DD's hitting instructor used to have a drill where kids stood on a board, wider than a balance beam and laid flat on the floor. Can't step in or out without falling off the board...

May 18, 2009
DD's hitting instructor used to have a drill where kids stood on a board, wider than a balance beam and laid flat on the floor. Can't step in or out without falling off the board...

Did the instructor put anything on the board for better grip?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC