Is slapping a dying thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
I feel like some years ago you would see multiple slappers in lineups and now I don't see as many. Has it died off some or am I just watching the wrong games? What would cause such a popular thing to fall to the wayside?
There are fewer one-dimensional slappers than there once were. Defenses and pitchers are better at defending those who can only soft slap or bunt. Slappers who can challenge a defense on more than one level are just as dangerous as ever. I'd also say that slappers may be less common in the P5 schools than there were in years past, since many are prioritizing recruiting power hitters.

Mar 10, 2020
There are fewer one-dimensional slappers than there once were. Defenses and pitchers are better at defending those who can only soft slap or bunt. Slappers who can challenge a defense on more than one level are just as dangerous as ever. I'd also say that slappers may be less common in the P5 schools than there were in years past, since many are prioritizing recruiting power hitters.
Prioritizing power hitters creates a new category beyond the triple threat it's a quadruple threat now because they can hit home runs.

Mar 10, 2020
Concur teams want big power hitters. However noticeably big husky not being able to run for themselves create a negative issue.
A power hitter who is also fast is a double threat and more valuable asset.
Everyone may want the stick of Jocelyn Alo on their roster. But if all players couldn't run for themselves it would be a different game.

Jun 8, 2016
Exactly, there isn't that team to coach.
That brings up an interesting question. Who would be the closest thing to Mickey Mantle/Mike Trout in softball in the last 10 years? I cannot really think of anybody who has/had elite speed and elite power, e.g. somebody who is plus-plus (using MLB tool ratings) on both speed and power tool ratings. I cannot think of any.

Oct 14, 2019
That brings up an interesting question. Who would be the closest thing to Mickey Mantle/Mike Trout in softball in the last 10 years? I cannot really think of anybody who has/had elite speed and elite power, e.g. somebody who is plus-plus (using MLB tool ratings) on both speed and power tool ratings. I cannot think of any.
Maya Brady is very good in both areas, but maybe not elite. Only a redshirt sophomore though.

Oct 4, 2018
My world of softball is pretty exclusively 12U.

Every team we play has a slapper, and they come in two flavors:

1. Those who have no idea how to slap
2. Those who are starting to get an idea of how to slap

It leads to some easy outs in many cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse