Is slapping a dying thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
I feel like some years ago you would see multiple slappers in lineups and now I don't see as many. Has it died off some or am I just watching the wrong games? What would cause such a popular thing to fall to the wayside?

May 27, 2013
Nope. Many teams still use them, and the triple threat can be a difference maker. Why do I feel like we just had this same post about a month or two ago?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I would say yes there are less slappers. I don't think it is drastically less but maybe 10% less if I were to make a guess.

These are my personal reasons for why I believe there is less.
1- No part of the foot being outside the box has negatively effected slappers.
2- I believe that infielders have become better and better overtime (better arms, quicker releases). Which makes slappers less effective.
3- The HR has become a more sought after attribute. Instance offense/runs!
4- Not a big fan of slappers with less than two outs and bases loaded. Prefer a player that is more likely to drive the ball in gaps in this situation.

Please don't take my posts out of context. There is certainly a spot in high level softball for an elite level slapper.

May 17, 2012
I would say yes there are less slappers. I don't think it is drastically less but maybe 10% less if I were to make a guess.

These are my personal reasons for why I believe there is less.
1- No part of the foot being outside the box has negatively effected slappers.
2- I believe that infielders have become better and better overtime (better arms, quicker releases). Which makes slappers less effective.
3- The HR has become a more sought after attribute. Instance offense/runs!
4- Not a big fan of slappers with less than two outs and bases loaded. Prefer a player that is more likely to drive the ball in gaps in this situation.

Please don't take my posts out of context. There is certainly a spot in high level softball for an elite level slapper.

Also analytics. It's hard to slap for a double.

May 27, 2013

And this is where the slapper who is a triple threat comes into play. If they can slap and hit it to the OF they are extremely valuable. When I think of slapper anymore at the collegiate level I think of the triple threat as that is what most slappers are developed to be now a days.

Jun 11, 2012
And this is where the slapper who is a triple threat comes into play. If they can slap and hit it to the OF they are extremely valuable. When I think of slapper anymore at the collegiate level I think of the triple threat as that is what most slappers are developed to be now a days.
You just described my DD. She’s a triple threat. Leads her college team in extra base hits and laid down a perfect drag bunt for a base hit today. Every slap she’s had so far this season has been to the outfield, some in the air, some on the ground.
She’s hard to keep off of the bases and you don’t want her on because she’s fast

May 27, 2013
You just described my DD. She’s a triple threat. Leads her college team in extra base hits and laid down a perfect drag bunt for a base hit today. Every slap she’s had so far this season has been to the outfield, some in the air, some on the ground.
She’s hard to keep off of the bases and you don’t want her on because she’s fast

Yep! They are dangerous as the fielders have no idea where to play them when they can bunt, slap, and hit away.

I still believe the best lineup is one where you have the table-setters and then the power hitters who can drive them in.

Don’t get me wrong - HRs are awesome and definitely are huge to a team - but I haven’t seen a player yet who can hit one in every at bat.

Jun 11, 2012
Yep! They are dangerous as the fielders have no idea where to play them when they can bunt, slap, and hit away.

I still believe the best lineup in one where you have the table-setters and then the power hitters who can drive them in.
In the words of every coach she’s ever had but one “she knows what she needs to do and finds a way to get it done”
Every team needs a couple of scrappy players who do whatever they need to get on base or move runners.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles