If someone is injured do you take the extra base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I think that is usually the distinction as well, if someone is hit in the leg it is usually going to be a play on. In your case the runner ending up on second I am OK with now if she tried to sneak all the way home that is probably crossing the line as a player is down and teammates are rushing to see if she is OK and the umpire should probably have time called by then but someone should always go get the ball and get it to a base ahead of the runner if they don't here the umpire stopping play.

If the pitcher or infielder is hit in the head that is usually a different story and as an umpire I would stop play and I would expect play to be stopped, umpires even usually brief this during pre game "if any safety concern comes up I will stop play immediately and sort out base runners later".

Outfield is usually different and the expectation is usually that the defense needs to get the ball back to the infield and runners stop before time is called.

Most of the times I've seen a pitcher drilled in the legs, the ball has stayed close enough for her to crawl to it and throw to first before collapsing afterward. But yes, I expect her teammates to finish out the play first and then go see to her. I wouldn't give them grief if they didn't, but until the ump says otherwise, it's a live ball.

I felt a bit ashamed of myself while watching a game last spring. DD drilled a pitcher in the shins and was able to beat the throw to first. Seeing that she'd beaten out the throw, I cheered. Then I realized the pitcher was writhing in pain. Stopped cheering.

It's a fast-paced game. Unless I know it's a dirty player/coach/team, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Feb 14, 2013
Two weeks ago, I had a line drive straight back at me at pitcher. Moved the glove the wrong way and copped the ball just under the kneecap. Went down like a ton of bricks and the ball went off somewhere while the second base ran to me to make sure I was OK. Thankfully was OKish (an inch higher and I would have shattered the kneecap!) and continued pitching (though I haven't pitched that slow since I was 12! Just had zero, zero speed but since our other pitcher wasn't there had no choice) It wasn't until after I was walking back to the plate that I realised the runner was on second.

Is it just me or is that just poor sportsmanship? That you hit someone hard enough that they go down (and both coaches said afterwards they thought it had shattered the kneecap because of the sound it made on impact) and you run/send someone to second?

No, it is not. They are playing the game, just as your teammates should have been doing.

The batter should be engaged in running the bases once the ball is hit and is trained to be directed by their base coach who can see the whole situation. My daughter is a pitcher, but I wouldnt expect play to stop just because she's injured (that would be great imo as her mama though)...there r 8 other players on the field who should be taking care of the ball if and when it gets past her/you at any given time. Until the ump calls time, the ball is still live :)

CoachGene72

Can Talk Softball all day
Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
Yes, that's exactly it. There were no runners on when the ball was hit.

It was a single at best and where the ball went was to second base, and the second base had run to me. Right field ran in and picked up the ball when she realised that the runner was going to keep going.

I've always seen it played that when a player is injured, to the point of dropping, that you stop at the base you're at. I didn't mention umpires in the OP because it honestly never occurred to me that the umpire would have to call time to get the runner to stop running. It's the same thought process behind, if you're over ten runs behind you stop stealing, you stop pushing for that extra base.

See now those are un written rules, that "most" coaches will follow. I am seen some real class acts continue to steal and push the extra base, delay steal and such with a 10 run lead. Some coaches have what I call "POS" coaching styles.
As a coach, my job is to teach the athletes to win. I might slow down if we are up more than 20. The offense is supposed to score, the defense is supposed to stop the scoring. Even at 12U this is the case. No problem running up a score or having one ran up on us. It is part of the game, take the oh it's girls and we can't let them have hurt feelings, gloves off and let them play. Your job as a coach is to not let your team even get into that situation, and if you have this happen to you very much then you need to change your level of play. It is that simple.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
At 12u, my DGD hit the pitcher in the shin and she went down like a rock. DGD did not even get out of the batter's box before the umpire called time. The ball wound up in front of the first base line dug out and DGD was awarded first base. Like Lozza, the ball hit just below the knee cap and after awhile the girl was able to walk to the dugout and she even came back to the pitch a few innings later.

Do I agree with time being called? Absolutely, especially at this age group. At 16u or 18u, unless it was a hit to the head, I would say play on, but then again, no serious injury to a young lady is worth an extra base, a run, or even a ball game.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
As a coach, my job is to teach the athletes to win. I might slow down if we are up more than 20. The offense is supposed to score, the defense is supposed to stop the scoring. Even at 12U this is the case. No problem running up a score or having one ran up on us. It is part of the game, take the oh it's girls and we can't let them have hurt feelings, gloves off and let them play. Your job as a coach is to not let your team even get into that situation, and if you have this happen to you very much then you need to change your level of play. It is that simple.

I'm sure you're convinced that you're the greatest coach of all time, but you clearly have it wrong. Gender has nothing to do with this discussion.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Kind of reminds me of the attitude of a girls high school basketball coach who ran up the score to 100-0 when his team played a small school for kids with learning difficulties.....Girls Basketball Coach Fired After 100-0 Win | Fox News......The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."........great example of sportsmanship......NOT!

Read more: Girls Basketball Coach Fired After 100-0 Win | Fox News

CoachGene72

Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
I'm sure you're convinced that you're the greatest coach of all time, but you clearly have it wrong. Gender has nothing to do with this discussion.
No where close to being the greatest coach, average at best, always learning something new.
Gender does have something to do with this discussion. Had it been a male pitcher in bb this discussion would not be had.
To my point, when on offense the object is to score as many points as you can, on defense it is to allow the fewest points you can. True?! I will say it again, if a team is consistantly being beat/or winning by more than ten points they need to change the level of play. Simple. To often the kids are taught/coached to slow down or stop when they have a lead and it turns around and bites them in their hind parts! A great example of finshing a game was the Alabama game earlier today, they did not stop when they were ahead by ten points. I did not see the final but the last time I looked at the score it was 19-0. I am shure that Coach Murphy does not want women on his team that were taught to quit when they were ahead.
I am sorry that OP was hit, I am dreading the day that my DD takes a line drive when she is pitching. However she will tell you that it is her job to defend herself and her teamates job to continue to play. If the umpire had felt that the injury justified stopping play then he/she should have, according to OP they did not.

CoachGene72

Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
I will say that when we have a lead of more than 10-13 points our HC and I (AC) will have the girls work on aspects of their game that they are not used to. We will place them at different postions and change what they would normaly do at bat, power hitters will bunt or slap, slappers will hit away, those that normaly bat from the right will hit lefty and vice versa.

So what your saying JAD is Coach Murphy is UNSPORTSMAN for allowing his team to score more points than that of his oppenent?
If you lose by 1 point or a 100, is it still not a loss? My job is to coach my team to win, I would hope that is your goal as a parent or coach as well. That is why we are all in this game right?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I will say that when we have a lead of more than 10-13 points our HC and I (AC) will have the girls work on aspects of their game that they are not used to. We will place them at different postions and change what they would normaly do at bat, power hitters will bunt or slap, slappers will hit away, those that normaly bat from the right will hit lefty and vice versa.

Runs. In softball, teams score runs, not points.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321