If someone is injured do you take the extra base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Two weeks ago, I had a line drive straight back at me at pitcher. Moved the glove the wrong way and copped the ball just under the kneecap. Went down like a ton of bricks and the ball went off somewhere while the second base ran to me to make sure I was OK. Thankfully was OKish (an inch higher and I would have shattered the kneecap!) and continued pitching (though I haven't pitched that slow since I was 12! Just had zero, zero speed but since our other pitcher wasn't there had no choice) It wasn't until after I was walking back to the plate that I realised the runner was on second.

Is it just me or is that just poor sportsmanship? That you hit someone hard enough that they go down (and both coaches said afterwards they thought it had shattered the kneecap because of the sound it made on impact) and you run/send someone to second?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It depends on the age and level of play.

Being a 1st base coach I have held runners so the play would be done and the player could get attention but I do not have any problem with the runner continuing on their merry way until the defense stops them.

Glad you didn’t get worse and hope you heal fast.

Edit: Last time I remember this happening was the ball hit the infield lip and hit the LF in the head and she dropped like a rock. Ball is just sitting there in LF but as far as I was concerned the play was over, needed to grab the batter/ runner because she wanted to go to 2nd.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
It depends on the age and level of play.

Being a 1st base coach I have held runners so the play would be done and the player could get attention but I do not have any problem with the runner continuing on their merry way until the defense stops them.

Glad you didn’t get worse and hope you heal fast.

Edit: Last time I remember this happening was the ball hit the infield lip and hit the LF in the head and she dropped like a rock. Ball is just sitting there in LF but as far as I was concerned the play was over, needed to grab the batter/ runner because she wanted to go to 2nd.

Not directly related, but I can tell you as an umpire, if I see a player hit in the head and immediately go down, I'm killing the play right there and getting somebody out there to take care of the player.

Dec 19, 2012
I'm sorry about your misfortune but I'm glad your okay. This is a tough one, but it depends on what the umpire does or does not do. It appears the umpire decided to let the play continue. Too many "what-if's" to make an informed decision, like:

If the batter stopped out of concern and the defense notices this and makes the play at 1st, should the batter/runner be out?

If the batter runner touches first then walks towards the pitcher out of concern and a defensive player makes the tag, is the batter/runner out?

Where is the line between good sportsmanship and poor sportsmanship on this particular play? I'm sure answers would vary....

Would it have been poor sportsmanship on your team's part if they got the batter/runner out a 2nd? It almost sounds as if you think the play should have ended with the runner awarded only 1st base.

I guess my point is there are way too many variables in this situation. I would mark this one under umpire's discretion.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If I am on first base, I am running prior to it hitting you. Wasn't the runner forced to second? So, you had runners on 1st and 2nd?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not directly related, but I can tell you as an umpire, if I see a player hit in the head and immediately go down, I'm killing the play right there and getting somebody out there to take care of the player.

This is how I wish it would be handled every time.

The batter is being put in an awkward position (ethical dilemma, if you will) that has to be decided quickly. The batter doesn't have time to consult with teammates and say, 'What's appropriate here?' Batter has to make a snap decision that he/she may or may not regret later. So even if I think it was not sporting (and that's how I'm leaning given that it's not the College World Series we're talking), I wouldn't be too hard on the batter. Unless it was a known jerk. :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Not PC, but the umpire has to take control of this situation. He has to call the play to end in my mind. Been there, sent runners on to the next base and then some. Poor sportsmanship??? I think not....its a live ball. No different than a ball bouncing off a players head in the OF, play continues on (seen that too). Until the umpire stops the play, runners are taught to run. Getting hit with a line drive is never fun, but it does happen.

Mar 13, 2010
I think she means that the batter wound up on second base rather than settling for a single.

Yes, that's exactly it. There were no runners on when the ball was hit.

It was a single at best and where the ball went was to second base, and the second base had run to me. Right field ran in and picked up the ball when she realised that the runner was going to keep going.

I've always seen it played that when a player is injured, to the point of dropping, that you stop at the base you're at. I didn't mention umpires in the OP because it honestly never occurred to me that the umpire would have to call time to get the runner to stop running. It's the same thought process behind, if you're over ten runs behind you stop stealing, you stop pushing for that extra base.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, I get it. It would depend on the situation, but Lozza is an adult, so I might take 2. It is not poor sportsmanship to me. I'll even bring you an ice pack, in between innings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA