icing wrap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2010
I have to agree in part with Screwball in part. My dd's shoulder never gets sore but I do believe that An ounce of prevention may go a long way. Check out Softball sales. They have something similar for much less.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The only thing that I know about these products are some parents tell me that the ice does not last long enough, to use the wrap at a tournament. For home use and practice, it is excellent.

As a former PE teacher, I advocate icing often and after any physical activity. Not, just the pitchers. 1st base, SS, etc. I learned the hard way. Also, ice those catcher's knees.

When we moved to a large HS, when DD was a freshman, the basketball coach iced all of her players ankles and shoulders. I thought it was overkill, but the HS had an excellent sports training program from Northern AZ. University. They talked to me a lot about overuse, inflammation, miniscule muscle tears, etc.

My DD, who hated to ice - had to relent, or not play. So, the trainers were there doing this for the athletes and it was great.

I use plain old ice in a zip lock bag and plastic wrap from a moving company.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Amy's right, this style works great at home when you can take the gel packs right out of the freezer. We have one like this but significantly cheaper. For the road I bring ice and use the largest size ZipLoc, it's a one gallon I think. They don't leak, she has to move it around a little but it works.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
My daughter is both a swimmer and a pitcher...she does not ice for pitching nor does she for swimming. To me, ice implies injury. In swimming you preform a motion far more often and with equal or more force and you NEVER see a swimmer with ice on their shoulders after a meet. I don't understand where the trainers come up with this. Ice is to reduce swelling and if there is swelling there is injury.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA