Ice Wrap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ice/freezer gel pack is my go to
for body pain. Swelling. New Injury.
Even itchy bug bites, or stings.
Heat (heating pad) for stiffness in the morning.
Then tens unit for muscles that are knotted or spasming.
(muscle zapper)

Almost never take ibuprofen.

To this point its been working well...
The next thing in medicine kit may be flesh colored duct tape. :)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd pitched for 10 years, most of those years she was the primary pitcher on her team. So she saw a lot of innings.

My wife is a Physical Therapist who’s Masters degree was a focus on ortho and sports med.

Our dd never iced her arm.
Ice was only used for injury.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The second set of links I posted addresses routine use ice for maintenance. (This page creates previews which make navigating them difficult...)

Dr Mirkin, who originally coined "RICE," states that research suggests that ice does little to prevent overuse pain. He says that it may actually slow the body's ability to heal. I believe the best preventative measure is to ensure good form and avoid overuse. With some teams, this can be tough if you only have one usable pitcher. I'm not familiar with treatment for tendonitis, but I believe it falls into the same boat.

These are the links:

Quoting Ken's whole post primarily so people get another chance to see it.

Stop routine icing.

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks for sharing @Ken B. At its best icing does nothing and at its worst may actually slow recovery. I think it’s more mental for the kids who do it all the time after they pitch.

Jun 7, 2020
So is icing bad for recovery or helpful? My dd coach thinks it's good for it. He has his dd use ice after every pitching session.
My dd hates icing. And honestly if it's not worth the struggle with my dd to ice then why do it?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ice initially helps relieve pain from an injury. There is no therapeutic or preventative value for routine care. Some of the biggest names in the biz still teach wrist snaps, hello elbow, arm speed drill and wall drills in spite of all the evidence that shows these are mostly counterproductive.

I don't believe that ice is terrible, but I don't think it helps do anything but relieve pain. Good mechanics is a far better focus for prevention....