HS Softball Started

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
week one in the books, that used to be P/C, now it is arm & conditioning week, all can go.....but just throwing & conditioning work only

we start for real today......we have 19, which is a 5 year high......a couple freshman look promising, but none will make a real impact at V this year......one new senior may, however

#2 pitcher looks solid, and has been working with PC.......

oh yeah, and our fields HAD been clear for a few weeks, infield was ready to turnover......and we got 8+" of snow topped with ice on saturday night

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have had to scale back my coaching due to an upcoming knee replacement. I was asked to come out today and work with four hitters before tonight's game. I did so and then got home. (Before the wife did. -- I will be in trouble. LOL) Anyway, after helping get the cages picked up, our HS team was taking infield. I've worked with our middle infielders on all of the pivots at 2nd base. I was so proud of them when watching them do infield when they chose the correct pivot on double plays each time tonight. Middle infield work can be a thing of beauty when done well.

May 21, 2018
It's fun keeping track of your team. DD has played on and off with several of your girls. She might be playing with some on her current travel team, but I haven't learned all their names yet. Looks like we will meet up toward the end of the season. I'll be the guy pacing around looking p*ssed off for no apparent reason.....at least that's what they tell me I look like.

Nov 15, 2019
We have 398 in our school, but that includes 8th grade. I'm not sure if the 8th graders are allowed to try out, I've never seen one on the team, although it is pretty competitive. We have both V and JV plus cuts are made. I'm really surprised at how well we do for such a small school. We won State 3 years ago and can play 36 games a season. There's also soccer, tennis, and track in the spring.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
We have 398 in our school, but that includes 8th grade. I'm not sure if the 8th graders are allowed to try out, I've never seen one on the team, although it is pretty competitive. We have both V and JV plus cuts are made. I'm really surprised at how well we do for such a small school. We won State 3 years ago and can play 36 games a season. There's also soccer, tennis, and track in the spring.
That is very impressive with those numbers. Sounds like you have a good softball culture going there.

May 20, 2015
got outside on the field for the first time yesterday; couldn't drag the infield yet, so we mostly hit......today we should be able to drag, so we should be able to do a bunch of IF/OF work

then this is our forecast:
Wednesday Night
A chance of snow before 7pm, then rain and snow likely between 7pm and 11pm, then snow after 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 31. Breezy, with an east wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. Windy, with a northeast wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 3am. Low around 33. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Friday
Rain likely, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Night
A chance of rain before 9pm, then a chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Saturday
A chance of snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Saturday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.

good news is, starting Sunday, every day for the next 10 is 50+, hitting 60 by the 15th.......and the last night it drops below freezing is sunday night........so this is the last, ball-busting gasp of winter

Feb 7, 2014
Sounds like the school I attended... it's challenging working with a school of the same population that can barely field a team.

Culture matters.

Jul 15, 2021
We've been practicing since March 11th. We've only had two outdoor practices. Our season opener was a double-header this past Friday playing teams from the Billings area, who have been outdoors from day 1. Our third game is here in a few hours, still only having two outdoor practices.

MHSA really needs to take are hard look at flip-flopping volleyball and softball seasons in Montana.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
got outside on the field for the first time yesterday; couldn't drag the infield yet, so we mostly hit......today we should be able to drag, so we should be able to do a bunch of IF/OF work

then this is our forecast:
Wednesday Night
A chance of snow before 7pm, then rain and snow likely between 7pm and 11pm, then snow after 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 31. Breezy, with an east wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. Windy, with a northeast wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 3am. Low around 33. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Friday
Rain likely, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Night
A chance of rain before 9pm, then a chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Saturday
A chance of snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Saturday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.

good news is, starting Sunday, every day for the next 10 is 50+, hitting 60 by the 15th.......and the last night it drops below freezing is sunday night........so this is the last, ball-busting gasp of winter
Bahhhh!!! Yukon Cornelius would laugh at that forecast. Let's go here! Play ball!

Seriously, that forecast stinks when you've got the itch to get outside. Crossing our fingers in MN to get outside late this week.

May 20, 2015
Bahhhh!!! Yukon Cornelius would laugh at that forecast. Let's go here! Play ball!

Seriously, that forecast stinks when you've got the itch to get outside. Crossing our fingers in MN to get outside late this week.

coach is out raking the field/turning it over right now.....we'll do it again after practice to help it handle the moisture

if we get the lower end of the forecast we might get our scimmage in on tuesday or move it to wednesday.......but the field is in such good shape now, with the forecast of rain then warm/wind, it shouldn't be long

DD1s freshman year, 2019 i think? we got 14" on the Friday before April vacation.......so this is a full week earlier and not as bad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles