How important is it to lock the front knee on the stride?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
I was mistaken on Kyle Tucker's home run from last night. He only straightens the front leg for a split second, but watching it in slow motion it is clearly there.
Kyle Tucker Homerun.gif

His finish does seem a bit unusual bending down on both legs on the follow through. It must work for him though. He has hit 5 homeruns in 9 games.

1621474983567.png

Apr 30, 2018
Haley is coiling forward. Not weight shifting like your Daughter.

We took tonight off, but we will try to work on that tomorrow. I want to get my wife to video her hitting off some soft toss. I think some of this may be her trying too hard knowing I'm videoing it and being off the tee so she can think about it and over coil/load before the stride.

Jun 8, 2016
We took tonight off, but we will try to work on that tomorrow. I want to get my wife to video her hitting off some soft toss. I think some of this may be her trying too hard knowing I'm videoing it and being off the tee so she can think about it and over coil/load before the stride.
Is she playing any games? If so just video those..

Apr 30, 2018
Is she playing any games? If so just video those..
I'll try. I'm an assist coach managing the dugout and my wife is the score keeper so we aren't always in the best position to get a good video. I do have a pitching machine so I can video her hitting off that.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I was mistaken on Kyle Tucker's home run from last night. He only straightens the front leg for a split second, but watching it in slow motion it is clearly there.
View attachment 22137

His finish does seem a bit unusual bending down on both legs on the follow through. It must work for him though. He has hit 5 homeruns in 9 games.

View attachment 22138

I have thousands of hitters on video. The front knee in most swings straightens and then flexes again. It’s quick.

Jun 8, 2016
I'll try. I'm an assist coach managing the dugout and my wife is the score keeper so we aren't always in the best position to get a good video. I do have a pitching machine so I can video her hitting off that.
Convince somebody to FB live the games and then you can pull all the ABs using something like gifs.com 😉

Feb 25, 2020
The reason the front knee locks out is not because they are trying to straighten the front knee out. Its because they are pulling on the bat(bottom hand mainly) trying to swing it as hard as possible.

Kinesthetically its a result of hip extension. Practically its because the player is pulling on the handle with the bottom hand in the correct way.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Lancer360

Watch the HR derby swings I posted.They lock and hold the front knee longer. In a game it’s not held that long.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles