Hitting Low & Inside Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
My daughter has been getting alot of inside and low inside pitches the last few games. The main reason is because she has been crowding the plate alot. The last 2 games, not only does she crowd the plate, but has a closed stance, which makes hitting those pitches even harder. I told her why they are pitching to her like that, but if it is a hard habit to break or what, she hasnt adjusted her feet. We have a double header tomorrow night and I will remind her again about it. Otherwise, what is the best way to hit off a pitcher who throws low and inside, or just inside? I told her to slide the stride foot back towards 3rd to open her stance a bit to start. Or wait until the pitcher starts in her motion and then slide it back so she cant change her pitch. The best ways to hit these pitches are appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2009
Practice hitting various pitch locations off a tee until she can place them where she wants. Don't place the tee where it's comfortable necessarily. Place it where the pitches are likely to be that she is having a problem hitting.

Once she is able to hit them fair off the tee pitch front toss from behind a screen to the same locations.

Cue I give for the inside pitch is to keep the hands close to the chest. Most players get the idea with that simple cue.

If she can't handle an inside pitch it is not wise to crowd the plate or step in. But if she learns to hit the inside pitch that is a good way to bait the pitcher.

Nov 1, 2009
You see a lot of batters at the lower age groups crowd the plate and I can think of a couple of reasons to do it. First you basically take the inside away from the pitcher and make the outside edge the plate in the same location as the typical center cut pitch. The second is pitchers get nervous about hitting batters so consequently they err on the side of caution.

If your daughter is say 14u then just move her back. The longer bats will give her the coverage she is looking for without crowding the plate. Another thing you can do is start on the base until the pitcher starts her wind up, then have her move toward third base about 6-8 inches.

Jun 20, 2008
The low inside pitch is one of the hardest to hit anyway...Why is she crowding the plate and closed?...fix the stance and position in the box, tell her not to handcuff herself before she ever swings the bat.

Feb 6, 2009
My daughter has been getting alot of inside and low inside pitches the last few games. The main reason is because she has been crowding the plate alot. The last 2 games, not only does she crowd the plate, but has a closed stance, which makes hitting those pitches even harder. I told her why they are pitching to her like that, but if it is a hard habit to break or what, she hasnt adjusted her feet. We have a double header tomorrow night and I will remind her again about it. Otherwise, what is the best way to hit off a pitcher who throws low and inside, or just inside? I told her to slide the stride foot back towards 3rd to open her stance a bit to start. Or wait until the pitcher starts in her motion and then slide it back so she cant change her pitch. The best ways to hit these pitches are appreciated. Thanks!

Tell her stop crowding the plate

Feb 6, 2009
Crowding the plate doesn't take away the inside from the pitcher. It takes away the outside. If someone crowds the plate, you have to pitch in and jam them until they back off. Girls should be taught early that you need to come in and if you hit someone, oh well

Apr 3, 2013
you have done what the other coach will do already, read that she is closed off and tight to the plate. if she knows the pitch is coming she can use an outside in swing to get the hands inside the ball, but that will only work so long. fix the stance or she can do a toe tap open to get the hips thru the ball if she cannot change the closed stance. also make sure she is pulling trhe bat with the lead hand not push with the back hand, that will keep your hands from rolling and help her speed up her swing.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Inside pitch

Lay the bat across the plate with it even with the outside edge. Stand where the end of the knob is or up to an inch back if she has a casting out swing.
Place the tee out front and low on the inside.
You have to release the front arm underneath to hit it in fair territory.
You have to fully rotate bellybutton straight ahead before you release the barrel head to the ball
The knob will travel farther in the swing and you will have a longer bat lag.

SL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG