girls catchers mitt advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
Did notice the JCV-22 doesn't open as much as her old Mizuno glove.
Took her a while to adjust to the Mizuno and I haven't noticed any pronounced issues with the Vinci yet.

She just changed to the JCV-22 and we'll see if she starts dropping balls once she fully gets used to it.
Fall ball starts on Sep 7th...

It has super good padding which is what the DD wanted and I really hope it works out.

Oct 30, 2012
Ashburn, VA
Chaz, would love to learn more about JCV-22, 33 inch. DD is 14YO HS 9th grader and is currently using a Louisville Valkyrie 33 in. Last year she had consistent problems with hand bruising. Looking for a glove that will provide more protection than just adding a glove under her mitt. Lots of people on this thread are pointing to you so I am asking :) Any help would be appreciated.

C.K

Mar 16, 2012
PM casedawg51 he might have a jcv-vm glove he could get you into cheap. Cheaper than a jcv-22.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Sorry folks, Casey and I are both player reps for Vinci. He's down south and I'm in the Midwest. Between my regular job, catching instruction, computer glitches and moving, I haven't had as much computer time lately. The Valkerie and Akedema tend to be very big flat dinner-plate type of gloves whereas the Vinci has a deep pocket and looks smaller. The 34" closed web helps the glove stay open but can be a little more difficult than the 33" to close for younger hands. I have 8U through college age using the 33" inch either the 22 series, limited series or optimus series leather. The 22 series is a great choice for younger catchers as well as all levels up to "A" level at 14U. It's great for older players competing at B and C level as well. It's a bit softer and breaks in easier. The limited series is a great choice for 12U through college. It's tighter grain kip leather has an awesome pop when the ball hits. I have only seen Nokona's get this much pop. (They have no padding though) The Optimus series is great for 16U up and is a thicker cut high end leather that performs well. It is a bit heavier than the limited series.

Vinci favors small to medium hands with finger stalls that grip well. We have had feedback from players with larger hands that the glove fit too tight. All Star used feedback from NECC to redesign their glove. It is stiff with less padding and performs well. As the dad of a catcher and a catching instructor, if I wasn't buying a Vinci, my alternatives would be a high end Easton, All Star or Mizuno (In that order) I hope this helps.
-Chazman

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Since your DD is already using the largest size catchers mitt on the market I would consider buying a Nokona or Vinci. They may be slightly over your price target, but will last a lot longer than most gloves and can be rebuilt instead of replaced. You can also look for a used on one Ebay that is cheaper and already broken in!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hey Chaz, What model high end Easton are you referring to? Our 12U catcher is using a JCV-22 now and I'm wanting to buy another
team mitt. I have been looking at the All Star CMW3000 also. Thanks.

Oct 30, 2012
Ashburn, VA
Where is the best place to take a look at the Vinci models? I am in Northern VA (DC area). I can check the store locator but want to make sure they have them in stock.
Thanks!

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad