Gimme a break, man!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In last night's HS game against one of the powerhouse teams in the league, visting team scores 10 runs in T1 (they can hit a ton, and our fielding has some REALLY weak spots). We are clearly outclassed by a lot. B1, our leadoff batter gets HBP. Standing at 1B, R1 moves her foot off the base momentarily to clear the dirt piled against the base. Base Ump calls R1 out.

Yes, the call is technically correct, but c'mon, man! Gimme a break!

Oh, well. Not that it would have made a difference. Game ended in a 19-0 loss.

EDIT: This is not a serious complaint.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Yes, the call is technically correct, but c'mon, man! Gimme a break!

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask for time. That takes the umpire's judgment/discretion out of the equation. It also let's the umpire know you are trying just as hard to protect him from having to make a "technically correct" call (Which all calls should be) or possibly have the OTHER team wonder why he isn't calling the game according to the rules (and coming to DFP to complain about the umpire last night who had no clue what the rules of the game are)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask for time. That takes the umpire's judgment/discretion out of the equation. It also let's the umpire know you are trying just as hard to protect him from having to make a "technically correct" call (Which all calls should be) or possibly have the OTHER team wonder why he isn't calling the game according to the rules (and coming to DFP to complain about the umpire last night who had no clue what the rules of the game are)

It was the correct call, and this girl is a highly-experienced player who should know better. Maybe too many TB friendlies where the rules are a little more relaxed have left her a little off her game - LOL.

I'm not really complaining.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
C'mon man! Some guys the Field Ump really wants to get in the game. This year in DD's game the FU made 4 calls that would be considered "C'mon man!"

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You have heard me refer to this as 'gotcha' umpiring.

I get it if the runner was gaining an advantage in the game, or attempting to distract/confuse the defense. She was just clearing the dirt out from under her foot against the side of the base. I guess she will think more carefully about that next time - LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma