Fun drill for softball hitting vision training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Got this softball hitting vision training drill when I was the NFCA Coaches College in Minneapolis back in November. We tried it today and it was a lot of fun, both for the girls and the parents who participated.

The only equipment you need is a bucket of wiffle balls. You need at least two colors, although the balls should be predominently one color. It's really easy to do this in batting cage because you can go from side to side. Here's how it works.

Have a player stand with her back to one side of the cage. Set the wiffle balls on the ground on the other side of the cage, with one or two people kneeling. I used two parents today, which allowed them to be involved while freeing me to work with other players.

The tossers begin tossing a barrage of balls at the player. She knocks away all but one color of ball. Those she catches, and tosses back into the mix. The faster the barrage of balls goes, the more difficult (and fun it is). Having two tossers makes the barrage come faster, and from more directions, adding to the challenge.

For ours today, I had white, blue, purple and yellow balls. The girls had to catch the four yellow balls out of the two dozen coming at them.

It really forces hitters to ignore distractions and focus on the ball -- exactly what you want to have happen at the plate. It also helps them work on their hand-eye coordination, as catching the ball under those conditions isn't easy.

It's definitely a way to energize your practices too. Give it a try!

More...

Oct 10, 2010
This sounds really neat Ken. Do the girls continue to stand sideways, as if they are batting? Or do they face the people throwing the balls?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
They face forward for this one. It's just about seeing the ball. It actually works just as well for fielding - helps them pick out objects quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1