Fielding situations and strategies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2012
the score at that time was (us 7 and them 5) we where home team and there was about 10 minutes left for the end of game.

Like most posters here stated, the runners didn't mean anything. Should take the easiest out, probably first, for the second out. Run scores, you are still up 1 with 2 outs, then the next ground ball was the third out, I believe to your 3rd baseman. Pretty straightforward, in this situation, pretty much applies to all levels.

I would proceed the that way with my older team. Now, even if that run tied the score I would have proceeded that way.

If I was visitors and down the two runs, then I try to make the play at he plate for the second out. Down 2 as visitors with 10 minutes left, you have to expect you have 1 more at bat, and thus need to limit anymore runs from scoring.

May 31, 2012
SS should have went fake throw home tag runner leaving 2nd base. I'm kidding get the out at first on ground balls especially with 2 outs.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
You need to look at the score and how many out you have too...you had 1 out with a 2 run lead.

Ground ball to SS, play to 1st, now you have 2 outs (1 run lead)

Next batter would be a regular play to 1st (for 3rd out); with no attention to any runners.

The play from SS to C is tough in general; lots of things need to go right...even if you practice this play at nauseum.

SS Field ball cleanly
Transfer to throwing hand efficiently
Accurate & hard throw to C
Catcher needs to be in correct plate covering position
Catcher catches it cleanly
Catcher makes tag and does not drop ball.
Umpire calls out

If you you do all that right you have two outs with runners on 2nd & 3rd.

You have risks of many things not happening perfectly. Assess each situation and figure out what are the highest percentage plays to get to the 3rd out and survive the inning without a lot of damage.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that they did fine. How many 7 and 8 YOs know that that play is at home? Did you have the infield playing in and tell them to go home or what did you tell them? You job is to help them learn the game and it sounds like they are doing fine. It isn't about winning at this age, it is about getting better every day.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I may be a little different on this one.

Go for the routine out at 1B.

Yes you are giving up runs, but you are betting that you will get 3 outs before they can score more runs in an inning than you can. Runs are cheap in 8U, 10U, and early 12U. Once you get into the 2nd year 12U and up runs are a little more special and you would use a different defensive strategy.

After your girls are executing the routine out at 1B, then transition them into making the easiest out and then looking for what is next. After that then they can work on the lead runner and then what is next. This is the hardest to do and seemingly impossible at the early ages.

By what is next I mean that the play is still live and most times the girls make the out and then think (or act like) the play has stopped. Make the out and look for the next one. i.e. challenge the lead runner.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
At 8u, the most important strategy and positioning concerns the post-game snack.

The parent in charge has to be sure that the opening to the dugout is clear so the girls can get out, but should not be set up more than 5-6 steps away. If a player has more than 6 steps between dugout and snack, that provides the equivalent of a running start and either the player will get away without her sugar fix or the snack parent will get run over.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Before every play, have the girl ask herself "If the ball comes to me, where do I throw it." If you want the play to go to 1st base, you say "The play is at one." Then, first base is yelling like a mad woman "One! Here here here."

In 8U-14U unless I have a rock solid infield all I want is an out period even if we lose because of it. At these age levels its more about teaching than winning at all costs and whos to say if you go to first on your first play after the first out your still up one then all you need is an out to win or maybe they tie the game ... With 10 min. Left you could have time to come back to the plate and score to wisn the game anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC