Explicit Walk Up Music

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
With you on points 1, 2, and 4, but not 3. Players/coaches using bad language might fall under sportsmanship (I'd argue that's only the case in certain circumstances, and the rules set probably matters). A song using it really does not. I'd also argue that "inflammatory lyrics" is far too subjective. In fact, I'm betting most people here would have a completely different view of which songs should/should not be played than I do. No, I'm not telling you all what songs those are.

I was a bit vague on that … things that will earn you an auto-ejection on the field. Note that I didn’t say “obscene” because that will be in the eye of the beholder. I’m talking specifically about race, religion, gender, national origin, and I’ll add sexuality and anything that is a call to violence. Those are things that are only intended to taunt or inflame the other team.

Maybe I am a little more keyed in on that after an experience I had in Mississippi.

May 29, 2015
So, if I enjoy the between inning music, is it wrong for me to dance along with it? (the right answer is "yes" based on my dancing skills)

Personally, I think the walkup music and voice over intro are tacky and I usually only see it a "C" levels. IMO, if you kid or their team is more worried about their walkup song than their hitting or fielding ability, you might be in it for the wrong reason.

My daughters college walk up list:
- "Jesus Freak", DC Talk
- "Juicy Wiggle", Redfoo
- "A Little Less Conversation", Mac Davis / Billy Strange

I will disagree with that. Having fun is THE reason to be there. Hunting for plastic and a Bigfoot Scholarship … secondary.

May 29, 2015
I'm not a coach. I'm not part of any of this. :)

Our girls love drumsticks. They'll use them until told not to, and they'll quickly put them away when told. If it's not against the rules and umpire is cool with it, we'll do it. *shrug*

Like I said, I have nothing to do with it. I don't even notice really.

It is against the rules. That’s been said a number of times in this conversation.

Unless we are talking about ones that will melt before the inning is over.

Oct 4, 2018
It is against the rules. That’s been said a number of times in this conversation.

Unless we are talking about ones that will melt before the inning is over.

It's been said in this conversation it's against some rules. I didn't see it said it's against all rules. Do we really know it's against every org's rules? There's lots of orgs and lots of rules.

Jun 8, 2016
It's been said in this conversation it's against some rules. I didn't see it said it's against all rules. Do we really know it's against every org's rules? There's lots of orgs and lots of rules.
I've seen drumsticks used and not stopped (See my above comment about earbuds.. :ROFLMAO: )

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I know I don't have a whole lot of room to speak as far as explicit music as I've heard plenty of it...especially in my days as a high school cheerleader (I'd especially hear it when my squadmates would play Anaconda and WAP). But by and large, I never fell into that place where I'd have to watch it because for the longest time, I had used Sad But True by Metallica as my walk up song. Then I'd changed to wrestling themes, then Babymetal, and now I use The Hu. Nothing offensive in any of these.

Jun 8, 2016
I know I don't have a whole lot of room to speak as far as explicit music as I've heard plenty of it...especially in my days as a high school cheerleader (I'd especially hear it when my squadmates would play Anaconda and WAP). But by and large, I never fell into that place where I'd have to watch it because for the longest time, I had used Sad But True by Metallica as my walk up song. Then I'd changed to wrestling themes, then Babymetal, and now I use The Hu. Nothing offensive in any of these.
Babies playing metal sounds pretty offensive to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles