Dropping Hands before swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
SBF … what did Bustos do differently on this pitch to bait the pitcher?

I'll throw my input in as well. When you play teams over and over and over, "game theory" become much more important. Speaking from my experience, in pro baseball and even in college, there are charts being completed all the time to gather data about the hitter. What pitches do they hit well, in what counts, where do they hit it. Pretty much data to discover holes in swings, give up less hits and get more outs. For Bustos, she had hit an outside pitch out earlier in the game... then she got up on the plate to give the appearance that she was taking away the outside corner - when in fact she was baiting the pitcher to throw inside. I guess the catcher starting yelling "no no no no" as the pitcher was releasing the ball because she saw what was happening.... Then she hit it to the moon!

This can be done in games when you don't play somebody often too. Get up on the plate to try to draw and inside pitch or stand away to get something away. Smart pitchers look for advantages. I would always pay attention to the opposing team's batting practice to pick up tendencies of hitters. I was watching the Rangers and Giants BP last night with some of my players and I could tell them where the hitter would hit the next pitch. When you know what to look for, can pick up on the hitters style and what they are working on, you can have incredible insight into how they will react to pitches in-game.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Could it be because she is actually pulling the knob inside path of ball and then releasing to contact
Not even close. Every inch the knob moves forward the barrel is rotaing. By the time her hands "pull?" to her belly button the bat has already whipped half way through the "C".

Mar 12, 2009
Tewks ... you hang out at HI on occasion ... would you say that HI advocates the hands being used as a second engine? In terms of hitting groups ... would you say the posts of young hitters at HI have low occurrences of 'bat drag'?

I'm not advertising HI mind you ... but I want to make it clear ... amongst a hitting group that places an emphasis of using the hands, there doesn't seem to be much issue in terms of 'bat drag'.

Go figure ... the goal of using the hands will often result in establishing connection ... and generally well timed within the swing sequence.

I've been reading through all these posts today but I don't know what you are referring to when you say "HI".

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 11, 2009
Not even close. Every inch the knob moves forward the barrel is rotaing. By the time her hands "pull?" to her belly button the bat has already whipped half way through the "C".

Gonna have to disagree with you. You are correct in that the barrel is rotating down into the swing plane, but it is because she is pulling the knob. Try holding bat vertical and yank the knob forward. Where is the barrel going?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I've been reading through all these posts today but I don't know what you are referring to when you say "HI".

There is an open and private forum at Hitting Illustrated | Let's Talk Hitting. The private side is paid. Some people consider the information there to be controversial. Other people just consider the owner to be controversial. Either way, in my opinion its the best source of hitting information available. It isn't polite there... can be pretty harsh at times. If you go there, be prepared to actually swing the bat.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Gonna have to disagree with you. You are correct in that the barrel is rotating down into the swing plane, but it is because she is pulling the knob. Try holding bat vertical and yank the knob forward. Where is the barrel going?

Not all "rearward barrel paths" are created equal. Be careful here...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1