Dropping Hands before swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How do you describe how to turn the barrel?

Think of it as an application of force … not so to pull the barrel along the length of the barrel (which some would describe as 'dragging' the barrel) … but instead applied orthogonal to the barrel, such that the direction of force would be in the direction of having the rear forearm/hand supinate (twist).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ihowser ... a barrel being turned will often have a rearward element associated with the swing path.

CCabrera.gif

CPujols.gif

CrystalBustos_Rearward.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pretty weak argument Tewks.

I haven’t seen Tom’s swing, but that doesn’t stop me from applying the Hanson Principle and extracting what is useful from his posts. Same can be said of Howard, and many others.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Pretty weak argument Tewks.

I haven’t seen Tom’s swing, but that doesn’t stop me from applying the Hanson Principle and extracting what is useful from his posts. Same can be said of Howard, and many others.

Wasn't an argument. You guys talk about stuff all the time. Aside from the visual learning aspect... the feel doesn't add up. Duplicate Cabrera, duplicate Pujols, duplicate Yee, duplicate Bustos. Tell me what that feels like. Show me.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Mts

Dana, I disagree - somewhat. Yes - when you put together a good swing it seems effortless and there isn't an "awareness" of what the hands are feeling. But, to get there - there needs to be an emphasis on what the hands are doing (dropping, casting, etc).

How can you realistically get a hitter to make a change if he or she isn't aware of hand path? Even if you connect the hands to the shoulder you are still changing the hand path and IMO - there needs to be an awareness of this - otherwise once put in front of a live ball (machine or pitched) and free of constraints the hitter will usually just regress back to what they have always done.

For instance, to train a hitter to hit an inside pitch - they must pull the hands inside their normal hand path. You feel it in the hands (and elsewhere) because the hands hold the bat and must steer the barrel to contact. Are the arms moving the hands - absolutely. But, the hands hold the bat.

Dana, I do not disagree that the swing is driven by a series of body actions, but in the end a player uses their eyes and hands as their primary sensory driver. IMO, there needs to be a good part of training dedicated to making them understand that this hand path is better then that handpath because their eyes are telling the brain otherwise. Once, they hit a few balls on the screws their eyes will start to believe in the new hand path...Wow, I didn't drop my hands and I hit the ball hard!

Hand path and focusing on the hands is not dangerous as some people want others to believe.

MTS,

When I talk about hand path vs Using the hands they are two totally different things. I agree that a hitter has to have an understanding of hand path but that path for me is driven by rotation of the arms and core to the ball. If I move my hands I will be casting and disconnecting the swing. I may have to "Fish hook" them around my hip quickly and keep them inside on the inside pitch but I do that by moving the arms not the hands. That is were I feel that movement. Arms not hands.

The only time I want my hands to be used is at the unhinge process and even then I don't want to torque them. I just want the wrist to release in a natural manner based on the force generated during the swing. I have tried this with my own swing. I start torquing the bat with the hands and my swing plane goes all to hell in a hand-basket. That I know for certain.

Dana.

R

RayR

MTS,

When I talk about hand path vs Using the hands they are two totally different things. I agree that a hitter has to have an understanding of hand path but that path for me is driven by rotation of the arms and core to the ball. If I move my hands I will be casting and disconnecting the swing. I may have to "Fish hook" them around my hip quickly and keep them inside on the inside pitch but I do that by moving the arms not the hands. That is were I feel that movement. Arms not hands.

The only time I want my hands to be used is at the unhinge process and even then I don't want to torque them. I just want the wrist to release in a natural manner based on the force generated during the swing. I have tried this with my own swing. I start torquing the bat with the hands and my swing plane goes all to hell in a hand-basket. That I know for certain.

Dana.

I wasn't talking about torquing, turning the barrel, etc. Just an awareness of where the hands are in space at all times.

Jul 11, 2009
Ihowser ... a barrel being turned will often have a rearward element associated with the swing path.

CCabrera.gif

CPujols.gif

CrystalBustos_Rearward.gif

How come Bustos bat only appears to make a half C? Could it be because she is actually pulling the knob inside path of ball and then releasing to contact, exactly what she says she does, not torqueing the bat like all you expert video analyzers claim she is doing? No need to reply as I can see it for myself and a video is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
knob to ball or barrell to ball ?

athlete who knows what they are actually doing ?

Coach who actually knows what athlete is doing ?

You go daddio.

No need to reply.

whatever works for you works for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1