Drop Dead question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
I'll play the odd duck. Drop dead is not inherently unfair. It is just a different game. You have to play it differently.

imo if you want to played timed baseball (And not just time limit for field use reasons) then do so. no mound visits, strict pitch clocks and penalties. time limit on each inning. runner on third but only 2 minutes left in that inning? prepare for slow methodical walks.

but there are so many things you'd have to tweak to make it work in the rules. catcher probably has to stay put, no real IBB at all. mound visits, time outs, throwing it around the horn, etc.

Eve with all that I don't think you could really make it a good time, there's just too much room to manipulate the time, which is why it's not a timed sport. walking the leadoff hitter is no longer a terrible move, because the time per AB was going in your favor that way.

You'll get things like the 8th and 9th place hitters doing stalling tactics if the inning is almost over so the lineup can turnover fresh and not waste them at the end of this one. Trying to endlessly foul balls off. 30 seconds left maybe they take off on the bases with no care, because if you tag them out they start the inning where they want. Because OUTs are no longer precious, time is.

It'd be weird, odd. Probably not good.

What you get in drop dead situations that are otherwise normal baseball is just a lot of people doing stuff that they are unaccustomed to.

Mar 1, 2013
Since this thread is still going - my favorite timed tournament I did was an October “awareness” one. They had a big air horn. Everyone started on the horn, and when the horn sounded again we were done. Pitch in flight? Oh well. Move on. Horn is gonna sound in 15 minutes for the next game start.

Feb 16, 2024
Since this thread is still going - my favorite timed tournament I did was an October “awareness” one. They had a big air horn. Everyone started on the horn, and when the horn sounded again we were done. Pitch in flight? Oh well. Move on. Horn is gonna sound in 15 minutes for the next game start.
Sounds kinda like speed dating.

Jun 29, 2023
Sounds like scrimmages. We played in one of these a couple weeks ago, everyone complains every year about this tournament and then they all sign up again to play they same tournament the next year.

Jul 19, 2021
USA Softball. Game is tied 7-7, no outs, runner on third, batter at plate. Ump announces last batter, drop dead, batter finishes at bat. The defense walks the batter. The offensive plan was to full run the walked batter past first base, rounding to second. Third base runner has a large lead hoping that the pitcher is focused on or throwing to second, so she can steal home to win the game. After the fourth ball the ump says game and stops all play. When is the last at bat finished? Fourth ball or when the play is over?
Seriously? This much thought was put into a drop dead game which by definition indicates the game means absolutely nothing?

Wow. Just wow.

Mar 1, 2013
90 minutes drop dead and an elaborate plan to get an extra run on the last batter. What did you do with the other 89 1/2 minutes of play?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad