drag and hand activation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree we are not the only ones. But I have to admire your time management skills. I wish I could find time to post on at least three different sites for 19 hours yesterday and still find time to work, sleep and give lessons.

Sep 10, 2009
12 of my 14 players this year throw right and swing left. Your question is a little general but I'll have a go.

First thing is flip em around and have them swing, swing and swing a little more. A metric butt load is a good amount of swings to aim for.

The first goal is to get over OH MY GOD THIS FEELS SO FRIKKIN WEIRD stage. From there I start retooling start to finish bottom to top.

First thing I look at is Stance, balance and correct angles at the ready stance. take a standard butt load of swings until the batter can set up corretly in a ready stance from the left side.
Second Load, check the legs and load depth, keep the weight inside the back knee, on the inside of the back foot. Take another standard butt load of swings from the left side until the load phase lower half is looking good and consistently correct.
Next move onto separation at load and live hands during load for another standard butt load of swings from the left side.

Then to what ever the next phase of the swing as you teach it. Stride, stretch, toe touch all the way through to follow through. I seem to have the most luck correcting swing problems working from the feet up.

That sounds a little off. The first metric butt load of swings to get past the freak out stage includes coaching some semblance of a reasonable swing pattern. The above progression is more of a fine tune to bring the swing patter from the left side up to or past the quality that was present from the right.

Was any of that helpful? If you have more specific questions I'd be happy to try to explain if I know how.

Really the biggest hurdle is getting beyond the freak out stage. I've only worked with girls 8 - 11 on flipping them. I imagine it might be easier with older girls who know why they are doing it and have some idea of what they are in for before they start. As long as they are commited to the change to improve thier game, I'm sure they are going to get it done with your help.
This could be a whole new thread. I meant to ask how you check "load depth".

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
This could be a whole new thread. I meant to ask how you check "load depth".

Watching the rearward weight shift to make sure they don't push the hip past the knee and/or the knee past the foot. I want them to keep thier weight inside thier back foot. Usually if thier weight gets out past thier back foot they end up dumping the back shoulder and/or fail to transfer the weight forward and squash the bug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321