Do the elite batters line-up their "knocking knuckles" when gripping the bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SoCal ... the distance between the elbows will be less at 'contact', relative to the distance between the elbows at 'launch'. This is because 'connection' is in effect a 'process', or series of 'actions', and not merely a holding of a 'position'.

At the start of the swing the actions of connection take place ... and during the connective process, the distance between the elbows will be reduced.

It is during the actual rotation of the upper torso that we desire to see the elbow distance remain relatively constant. Prior to that, we are establishing connection, and the distance between the elbows will be narrowed due to, or during, the connective process.

As connection takes place, the angle between the 'lead' and 'rear' forearms will change ... and the alignment of the knuckles needs to accommodate this change in angle.

Starting with the knuckles of the top hand roughly aligned with the wedding ring area of the bottom hand, is a good orientation IMO. As your hands go back to ‘launch’, notice how the angle between your forearms widen … obviously I’m making an assumption here … and that to accommodate for the increase in the angle between your forearm, the ‘orientation’ of the knuckle alignment will change.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
SoCal ... the distance between the elbows will be less at 'contact', relative to the distance between the elbows at 'launch'. This is because 'connection' is in effect a 'process', or series of 'actions', and not merely a holding of a 'position'.

At the start of the swing the actions of connection take place ... and during the connective process, the distance between the elbows will be reduced.

It is during the actual rotation of the upper torso that we desire to see the elbow distance remain relatively constant. Prior to that, we are establishing connection, and the distance between the elbows will be narrowed due to, or during, the connective process.

As connection takes place, the angle between the 'lead' and 'rear' forearms will change ... and the alignment of the knuckles needs to accommodate this change in angle.

Starting with the knuckles of the top hand roughly aligned with the wedding ring area of the bottom hand, is a good orientation IMO. As your hands go back to ‘launch’, notice how the angle between your forearms widen … obviously I’m making an assumption here … and that to accommodate for the increase in the angle between your forearm, the ‘orientation’ of the knuckle alignment will change.

OK, the angle of the elbows is less at POC.

But are you suggesting that the top hand should be moving (rotating) on the bat handle between launch to POC? I just looked over the "model swings" thread and it's difficult to actually see this happening. To the naked eye, it seems that the grip is firm and does not change throughout the swing? Do you have any detailed high-speed video that shows this move? Great photos of the grips in your previous posts by the way....

Oct 12, 2009

Not really.

In truth, it depends on the location of the pitch.

Oct 12, 2009
Many have suggested on this site that to be a better hitter, observe the elite players' swing mechanics and emulate them. While watching the World Series yesterday, I paid particular attention to the position of the hands on the bat when a batter took their position in the box. It seemed to me that many batters were lining up their top hand knocking knuckles inline with the with the bottom hand's "punching knuckles" and thereby promoting a stronger grip on the bat.

I thought the general rule is to line-up the knocking knuckles? Could the larger hand size of MLB players (compared to softball players) make a difference on where to place the hands on the bat?

Not even the guys who currently advocate lining up the door knocker knuckles actually did this in their playing days.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CO ... here is an example of Manny's grip at 'launch'. The alignment of the 'knocking knuckles' resembles more what some refer to as a 'box grip'.

Manny_Grip.jpg

Here we see the 'knocking knuckle' alignment at 'contact'. Looks more to me like the "knocking knuckles" of the top hand are roughly aligned to the wedding ring area of the bottom hand ... perhaps could even view this as having the knocking knuckles aligned at contact. Different alignment of the knocking knuckles as seen in his launch position IMO.

Grip7.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't see this at all.

It would help if you read the entire paragraph CO. I should have written that we see the "knocking knuckle" orientation. If you read on you'll see how I viewed the orientation ... to me, the knocking knuckles of the top hand are roughly aligned to the wedding ring area of the bottom hand at 'contact' ... and the point is that I view that as different than his alignment at 'launch'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad