Dad with some questions about my new pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1. One concern I have is that she is being taught to pull her hip through and release as the hip and hand meet at the bottom of the arm circle.
That's wrong. Just basic anatomy. For almost all women, the hips are wider than their shoulders. Your DD hasn't matured, of course, so she can get away with it. In 4 years when matures, she won't be able to find the plate with a compass.

Finding a good pitching instructor is always a problem. At your DD's age, it would be better to drive and go to a good pitching instructor once a month.

This Montana Fouts. She pitched a perfect game at the 2022 CWS. Her form is excellent. You can see where she releases the ball.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
That's wrong. Just basic anatomy. For almost all women, the hips are wider than their shoulders. Your DD hasn't matured, of course, so she can get away with it. In 4 years when matures, she won't be able to find the plate with a compass. Finding a good pitching instructor is always a problem. At your DD's age, it would be better to drive and go to a good pitching instructor once a month. This Montana Fouts. She pitched a perfect game at the 2022 CWS. Her form is excellent. You can see where she releases the ball.

Just trying to learn but is Foutz not turning her hips with bullet spin? Or is it the amount of hip rotation? Almost every video I watch of top pitchers hips rotate from 9 o’clock to release.

Attachments

• IMG_5298.png
    IMG_5298.png
    746.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5299.png
    IMG_5299.png
    737.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5300.png
    IMG_5300.png
    775 KB · Views: 23
May 13, 2021
Just a dad, watch videos of what pitchers actually do with videos of what people say they should do. Hopefully they match, but many times they do not, or you see an array of differences.
I would say her hip is leading the hand, and the ball is being released as the hip and hand meet. Fouts is pretty close to the same. Hard to brush if the hips stay open until the hand passes the hips.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would say her hip is leading the hand, and the ball is being released as the hip and hand meet. Fouts is pretty close to the same. Hard to brush if the hips stay open until the hand passes the hips.
Yeah, it depends on specifics. My impression was that the PI was teaching to fully close and then release, which is wrong. But you're right...staying open isn't correct either.

Need more info.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Without knowing the context of the situation it's difficult to know if the instructions are appropriate or not. Even though this is a hitting video it speaks to 'feel vs real' when it comes to instruction, feel, and actual mechanics.

Aug 21, 2008
You all know I'm not a fan of bullet spin. Sorry, nobody is going to convince me it's a good thing. And I realize many people look at the pitchers on TV and use that as the standard for many things good and bad in pitching. But, I personally believe some pitchers are considered good despite what they do, not because of it. Cat Osterman is the best women's pitcher I've ever seen in person, none of her pitches were bullet spin.

The other point that needs to be remembered, that majority of girls that I know pitching on TV are very big girls. 6 foot, 6'1, 6'2, etc. Not even the best pitching coach in the world can teach a kid to grow to that size. Being that tall allows for a pitcher to get away with things that may not be the most mechanically sound. Pitchers today like to imitate Jordy Bahl. But, the previous generation of young pitchers wanted to imitate Monica Abbot. Personally, I've never understood or liked that giant bend forward she does prior to the pitch. But, she made it work no question. But would anyone encourage or teach their students to do that giant lean forward? Probably not, even though one of the best was doing it.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...This Montana Fouts. She pitched a perfect game at the 2022 CWS. Her form is excellent. You can see where she releases the ball.

As part of my clinic for beginning pitchers, I show video of Abbott, Ueno, Pauly, and Scarborough. I had not seen that Fouts before, I may have to add it. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...Not even the best pitching coach in the world can teach a kid to grow to that size....
Almost all of my beginning pitchers will never be very tall. Small school, so taller ones disappear as they gravitate towards basketball and volleyball. It's nice to have Scarborough in the video examples I show them since I can talk about her success despite not being very tall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45