Could/would you walk away? (not what you're thinking)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
MagicDad, Rule 7 Section 3: Prior to the pitch, the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter's box. The batter may touch the lines, but no part of the foot may be outside the lines prior to the pitch.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Gimme a break! You-all are claiming to never call anything to the umpire about perceived missed plays or infractions?

Yes. I've never done it. I'm not trying to demonize those who have, but I don't believe in it. As a coach, I have a rule against it for the parents. They don't have trouble following it.

Oct 25, 2009
I agree with one of the above posts; it was not smart to walk into the midst of the fans of the opposing team and start criticizing their batter. It could have ended much worse.

Another consideration: your pitcher, who is in direct line of vision with you, is now being distracted by the disturbance. Maybe embarrassed even.

As a newbie I was one of the worst. Took me years to learn that the game is much more enjoyable if I let the actual participants attend to it. Enjoyable not only for me, but mainly for others—including the players, coaches and officials.

PS: If someone shoves you and gets away with it, that's your fault. And since it seems obvious it was your fault I'm glad it didn't escalate. Your kid would have been the one most embarrassed!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not against what you did as most the responders seem to be. There are some posts on the board that I could see myself becoming involved in a physical altercation, this is not one of them. I would have immediately walked away and left the park if I need too.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I've never been to a tournament that restricts access behind the plate/backstop. Heck in our rec league, that's where the bleachers are set up.

I also regularly hang out behing the plate. Although when I'm there, I've never said anything (that can't be said when I'm in other areas :( ). I'm more observing catchers and their setup and pitchers and their location. I've also took video from this location seeing how our catchers set up and what if any differences they have in their set up. It's a good place to observe.

But, I wouldn't have said anything about the batters location. If our pitcher/catcher couldn't figure it out, they have some work to do.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I've never been to a tournament that restricts access behind the plate/backstop. Heck in our rec league, that's where the bleachers are set up.

In our town it's been a bigger problem with the boy's games. The baseball field backstops are now all blocked with tarps.
You can stand there if you like, but you can't see squat

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
MagicDad, the problem is that you were trying to play the game. You are not a player. You are not a coach. You should have kept your mouth shut.

As far as walking away, if a person can't walk away from a fight over something so meaningless as a 12u losers bracket softball game, you need more help than you can get here.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ray, I would need help. I guess I see things differently. At most parks, there is a walking area between the backstop and the bleachers. While people put their chairs there to view the game, it is still a place where fans of both teams hang out. SamG had the right to stand there as did anyone else. The problem escalated when the fan of the other team physically placed his hands on SamG. SamG, you are a better man than I. That person and myself would have gone to jail the second time he touched me. I'm not saying I'm right or that I'm some tough guy. I am saying that you had the right to stand there and that you have the right to defend yourself when attacked. As always when I post, keep in mind that I'm not normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA