Correcting pitcher during game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 13, 2021
Unless you are a PC you most don't really know enough to make good in game comments. I don't think what you are doing is bad but I would make sure she is OK with it. It's not fair to the kid to have the parent try and coach them during a game if they don't want it done.

I catch my daughter at lessons and am trying to learn what she’s being taught by the PC as much as she is. IME, she doesn’t improve at the lesson. She learns what she needs to work on at the lesson and improves in BPs and games outside of the lesson where she applies what she learned at the lesson and grooves it into her muscle memory. Since I’m catching most of those BPs, I tend to giver her a lot of feedback on what she’s doing/not doing based on lesson content.

At 8, it’s about development more than winning so I wouldn’t feel too weird about offering in game correction as long as the coach was cool with it. TBH, I sometimes do this with my daughter and she’s 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I catch my daughter at lessons and am trying to learn what she’s being taught by the PC as much as she is. IME, she doesn’t improve at the lesson. She learns what she needs to work on at the lesson and improves in BPs and games outside of the lesson where she applies what she learned at the lesson and grooves it into her muscle memory. Since I’m catching most of those BPs, I tend to giver her a lot of feedback on what she’s doing/not doing based on lesson content.

At 8, it’s about development more than winning so I wouldn’t feel too weird about offering in game correction as long as the coach was cool with it. TBH, I sometimes do this with my daughter and she’s 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm the head coach and her dad, I'm ok with it if it's not detrimental to her, which is why I'm asking about correction frequency.

When I correct her during practice, she looks at me after I say "finish tall" and nods.

I don't know that I should be doing corrections for each time she leans over while finishing in an actual game or just let her pitch "wrong" and tell her afterwards. I don't want to overcoach her and make her miserable...I've been on first base duty and kept hearing a coach yap and yap at every little thing and it's annoying...I don't want to be that coach.

Jun 18, 2023
I'm the head coach and her dad, I'm ok with it if it's not detrimental to her, which is why I'm asking about correction frequency.

When I correct her during practice, she looks at me after I say "finish tall" and nods.

I don't know that I should be doing corrections for each time she leans over while finishing in an actual game or just let her pitch "wrong" and tell her afterwards. I don't want to overcoach her and make her miserable...I've been on first base duty and kept hearing a coach yap and yap at every little thing and it's annoying...I don't want to be that coach.

finish tall is a good one, and probably one of the most common ones at that age and the one they understand too. I wouldn't hesitate to say it to the other girls as well if you see them get into a rut. And imo almost every pitcher at that age benefits from a quick time out mid-inning just to say "hey, good job, remember to finish tall, you got this", even if it's just a breather and "you got this" breaks them of the bad habit rhythm and makes them reset.

I actually said it MORE to the other girls than my own, who hates when I 'coach' her except on her best days.

Obviously not every pitch, but a few times an inning doesn't seem unreasonable as long as the pitcher doesn't feel like you'd badgering.

Batting on the other hand, I try not to say anything, don't want them overthinking. I kinda like 1B coach because I can sorta offer nuggets of advice on the AB.

Jan 22, 2011
When my DD was 8, I posted a video of her pitching 2 innings in the first All-Star tournament and asked for feedback. I thought I was good about being positive and only giving her minor adjustments while pitching.

@sluggers gave some pointers and said, "This is a little picky...but you need to stop talking to her with each pitch." I wasn't, but point taken. A couple of minor cues to correct form are ok, but in general, let them do what they do and figure it out themselves.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
IME just one or two cues and not all the time. My DD's hitting coach said "you put the hay in the barn long before you get to the batters box" You can't make big changes in the box...and similarly with pitching...it sounds like you're putting the hay in the barn between games. Go out and throw like you do in BP's and lessons....you've put the hay in the barn..now use it :)

Apr 14, 2022
Hi everyone, I was wondering when the best time to tell our pitchers they need to correct something during a game.

After the inning? After the game? During the inning?

The thing is my daughter does things mostly right when we're practicing at home or she's just throwing to her catcher...but as soon as a batter is in the box, she just loses focus and I think it's because she doesn't want to hit the batter (which is completely understandable).

She can physically throw great so I think it's all mental when she breaks down with a batter in the box. I don't want to put extra pressure on her, but at the same time I don't want her to form bad habits. Typically I'll say something like "that was a good throw, but let's finish tall." It's never anything in a harsh tone, but at the same time I don't want to feel like she needs to rely on me to correct her.
Sit in right field where they cannot hear you, say what you want, buy ice cream after the game.

Have her throw into a net or something location does not matter next time she practices.

Game performance may be several months behind practice performance.

Apr 14, 2022

If you’re the coach you might have to say something. For DD either make or laugh or make her mad. Probably does not work at 8, or with most kids. You might try.
“Stay loose”
“Keep it fast”
Most kids slowdown or stiffen up to aim the ball. Of coarse “just throw strikes” is time honored and always works.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The thing is my daughter does things mostly right when we're practicing at home or she's just throwing to her catcher...but as soon as a batter is in the box, she just loses focus and I think it's because she doesn't want to hit the batter (which is completely understandable).

She can physically throw great so I think it's all mental when she breaks down with a batter in the box.
You are spot on with your observations and conclusions. Put it all together, the problem is mental, so giving her tips on 'how to throw' won't help. Every pitcher goes through a stage where having a batter in the box brings into the equation the possibility of drilling said batter with a pitch. The thought of not hitting the batter becomes a part of the pitcher's task, so she switches into mechanics that are over controlled. For some it can be real speed bump. She will, after some time, adapt to having a hitter in box. Besides having her practice with a hitter in the box, during games, you can try having the catcher move a little and put her glove on the low, outside corner, this will give your daughter a little more margin for error and might take the batter out of the center of her task.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Hi everyone, I was wondering when the best time to tell our pitchers they need to correct something during a game.

After the inning? After the game? During the inning?

She can physically throw great so I think it's all mental when she breaks down with a batter in the box. I don't want to put extra pressure on her, but at the same time I don't want her to form bad habits. Typically I'll say something like "that was a good throw, but let's finish tall." It's never anything in a harsh tone, but at the same time I don't want to feel like she needs to rely on me to correct her.
I think you are doing a great job. Just asking these questions tells me you are thinking about the right things. It is hard to walk the line of head coach, parent and in game pitching advisor.

I think it is common for pitchers to try (to a vault) and not hit batters. If your concern is that she is too nice or does not want to hurt anyone here are few ideas.
1. Try teaching the team how to get hit by a pitch. In soft toss batting drills add a few foam squishy softballs into the bucket with regular softballs and throw the foam ball at the batter. Youtube has videos on how to take a pitch correctly.
91lwVOEZ6kL._AC_SX679_.jpg

2. Take the same foam squishy softballs during pitching practice at home and have her try and pitch as close to you as possible while standing in the box.
3. Have her pitch when the ball is wet and slippery on game day. She will hit a few batters and she will hate it, but maybe she will see it is not something to fear.
4. Have her play some more aggressive sports like basketball in the off season.

The general feedback loop I would suggest:

If possible, have the AC do all the in-game circle visits for your daughter and try and hold yourself back from cueing or talking about pitching during games.

On the car ride home.
1. Tell your DD you loved watching her pitch today and you are proud of her.
2. Ask her what she thinks needs to be worked on at the next practice? agree with whatever she says.
3. Don't talk about pitching again for the rest of the day.

Next time you have pitching practice at home.
Try and hint at what you think was the real issues that need to be addressed.
If possible, try and simulate what you think the issue is.
If possible, have video or photos of what you think the issue is.

Next Pitching practice with PC
Address the issue with PC and let them deal with heavy lifting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00