Coach asking sister to convert from catcher/outfielder to pitcher during offseason

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'm currently sitting in study hall writing this before having to go to cheer/competitive spirit practice and our wrestling team's dual meet tonight and figured I'd write this since I have most of my school work done and will have a little bit of homework for when I get home.

Anyways, our TB coaches decided to have a before Christmas team meeting to discuss some things softball related. He pulled my sister aside after the meeting and basically asked her to become a pitcher since we have a surplus of catchers and outfielders for our team going into next year and we have had the injury bug strike most of our pitchers to the point where we only have one pitcher for our team. She has no experience playing as a pitcher and I don't know how much I can help her because I have maybe 30-35 innings under my belt in the last two seasons combined since I play mostly catcher/third base/designated hitter pretty much exclusively and pitch on rare occasions.

Is it possible for her to be able to become at least a decent pitcher in a couple of months time since our season here in PA starts in Mid-April for high school and we may have a rare travel tournament? What kinds of things should we be doing and work on with her? What advice can you give us to get her started? My parents know of my account and wanted me to ask.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Tough one... Is she interested? Does she like challenges/hard work? Is she ready to put the time in and does she have realistic expectations? If she's up to it, there are no other options, the coaches realize how tough this could be--then why the heck not!

I'd just have her play some loose, underhand catch with tall posture, trying to release as close the thigh as she can. See if she can feel the whip and throw to a standing partner--just somewhere near the torso. Let the feet move--don't do the feet-planted/stand-sideways thing... Something like this:

y4mqfqeKv6FKGynKdx0Xb0jn7etwp7f5L__SBGVG603q-P60z-NRLE4q8nmlxfU2Srr7t4Nojlxa9t34rzommJkKamRlJghOmoA3uGmtrxPGpLzQcNag4TW8eC-dnTQCDMuAmzjm8exAe-txYaymVdipqcdVgtWjxAwMiaEzyLEz2bw-W36WoI62t_iRWiol5DIWmv0GzdqvfOj1JQ8TU7PhQ

Don't worry about a drive, just step and drag for now. Long and loose. Let the lower arm, hand and ball just hang from the elbow. Pull the ball around the circle. Let it whip--don't aim. Let the ball find the target. Stay tall. "Rock it from the pocket." Squeeze the knees at release. Up together/down together. Think about dragging the nail on the big toe. Don't throw to a squatting catcher for at least 2-3 weeks. Feel the whip first. Throw into a tarp if it helps and slowly move back.

As she gets the feel, have the partner move the glove around and ask sis to whip at the glove--don't aim--just let it whip. When she seems pretty relaxed and can hit the glove with some consistency, have her throw to a squatting catcher and move the glove around. Don't set up on the rubber just yet. Just walk/step into it and whip at the glove. About 3 weeks before, try setting up on the rubber and just stepping off. Don't try to get too much power from the legs yet. Start the circle quick from the backswing and keep it long and loose to generate speed (get the speed as the ball initially passes the hip--not so much going into release.)

Sounds like a fun challenge if she's up to it. No pressure or unrealistic expectations. Just whip the ball in there long and loose, then let the D take care of the rest.

Best,
Ken

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
You said TB coach then mentioned HS? for which team are you asking

If you are asking about a 16U eligible player taking up pitching and being competitive by June for competitive TB season that is probably a stretch unless you are strictly going to be a #3 and only pitch pool and blowouts on a B/C team.

If you are asking could she pitch for her HS depends JV probably depends how competitive your district is but Varsity would be a stretch in most areas.

Two biggest questions are #1 does she want to even try this? #2 Will she play as a position player, if she does not take up pitching?

If she does not want to take probably 4-5 hours a week for the next six months in this endeavor then its not for her. If she does start with Ken B's advice don't even pitch to a catcher squatted at distance for the first few weeks it will just force you to become results orientated. Practice without the ball, with a sock, ball into tarp and so on. Before pitching at distance to a catcher record yourself then compare to videos you've seen on this sight of Amanda, Jennie, Ueno, Pauly in slo mo and make sure you are at least somewhat close to mimicking good mechanics.

If on the other hand she is not interested she should politely decline and just admit she just does not have the time to put in at this late stage to learn a hard skill...then get with a hitting good instructor and spend a couple hours a week improving her hitting so that once the season gets rolling he can't afford to keep her bat out of the line up....my two cents

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog