Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Yet @marriard described knowing in advance that a coach has cheated in previous games.
Is not the same as doing it once in a game and being warned and then twice the repercussion.
Using his feedback because of his resourcefulness in umpiring rules.
View attachment 26742

My added comment is there are so many different umpires and so many different places teams play would not be realistic that an Umpire would know a coach's history.
*IF there were a factual database about coaches history on cheating,
Umpires might have a heads up previously. But since they don't...
Blatant problem sticks out like a sore thumb... and worse when there is no repercussion immediately.
I get it, but I was specifically speaking the Case Book example.

Aug 21, 2008
Well, there was the twitter post (since deleted) where the coach admitted it was both a designed and practiced "play".

Separately, I find all the venom towards umpires in this situation hilarious. Umpires are there to enforce the rules as written. Full stop. Not enforce the rules as someone believes they should be written.

Its fine to have a problem with the rule as written but the remedy isn't through umpires. The remedy is to go through whatever committee is making the rules and advocate for a rule change.

Its like getting mad at a cop for giving you a speeding ticket because you believe the speed limit should be higher. Or, more on point, getting mad at a cop NOT giving a speeding ticket because you believe the speed limit should be slower. And about as silly. You don't argue with the cop about what the speed limit should be. The cop has no power to change the speed limit. You go to the legislature and make your case.
the cop/speeding ticket analogy is great.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
While I understand the gist of the comment example speeding.

Getting a speeding ticket is also followed up with the cop assessing the driver for potential reasons for excessive speeding.
Or going excessively slower than the flow of traffic.

Because there can be another infraction of law.

Jun 27, 2021
The baseline only applies on the way to first and even then only if they get in the way of a play. And the '3 foot' rule is for an established base path (which has nothing to do with the lines) if someone is attempting to place a tag based on where the runner is (not the lines). Technically the runner can run wherever they want.

No call on that either.
The point was the poster who stated call the runner out for leaving early. If the coach wants to have a conversation about the call then have the conversation. Puts the coach in check for the end result

May 27, 2013
can’t the umpire call the runner out for leaving 2nd base early which would negate the next part of missing 3rd?

Not to sound like a jerk, but yeah, good luck with that! Yes, should have been called but wasn’t. If it was, everything that followed wouldn’t even be a discussion on this board, as the base running nonsense that followed would not have mattered.

Jun 4, 2019
What is it with this sport and teaching young athletes to cheat? Or is the way all youth sports have become? I didn’t see if this was a college or HS game, either way, what the hell are we teaching kids?

I’d be embarrassed and ashamed to have anything to do with this.

I see so much questionable s**t on the weekends at softball tournaments these days. I don’t know whatever happened to just lining up and playing a competitive game.

Jun 27, 2021
What is it with this sport and teaching young athletes to cheat? Or is the way all youth sports have become? I didn’t see if this was a college or HS game, either way, what the hell are we teaching kids?

I’d be embarrassed and ashamed to have anything to do with this.

I see so much questionable s**t on the weekends at softball tournaments these days. I don’t know whatever happened to just lining up and playing a competitive game.
As a parent do you want to be attached to this kind of coaching? But I do believe this is the way of youth sports, not just softball/baseball but all sports.

Jun 8, 2016
My point was: the umpire CAN make that out call (leaving early) where what followed after had to be appealed. Correct?
If they had seen it, sure. I am guessing they either didn't see it or the ump's last name was Donaghy and he had Evil Coaches team in a parlay..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00