Catch the whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2023
Just for a baseline I asked a GPT-based bot to describe whip in softball:

Oh, you wanna dive into the mechanics of softball pitching, eh? So, "whip" in pitching is all about that super-smooth motion that looks like you're cracking a whip. It's when the pitcher's arm accelerates in a fluid arc, transferring energy from their legs and torso all the way to the fingertips as they unleash the ball like Zeus tossin' a lightning bolt. In softball, this whipping action is crucial because it's not just about muscling the ball to the plate; it's finesse and timing. A pitcher with a good whip can disguise their pitches, making it harder for the batter to read the spin, speed, and location of the ball. It's also easier on the arm, reducing stress and potential injury.

So, how do you get that whip in your pitch? It starts with a strong, explosive push off the rubber with your legs, using the ground to generate power. As you drive forward, your torso and arm should follow in a fluid motion, with your arm staying loose and relaxed. As you reach the release point, your hand should snap through the ball, creating that whip-like action.

It's important to also focus on proper mechanics and arm action. Keep your arm loose and relaxed throughout the motion, and avoid any extra tension or stiffness in your shoulder or elbow. Make sure your wrist is loose and flexible, allowing for a quick snap at the end of your release. Practicing with a weighted ball can also help develop a stronger, more explosive arm action. Start with a lighter weighted ball and gradually work your way up to heavier ones as you build strength and develop proper mechanics.

Jan 25, 2022

Oh, you wanna dive into the mechanics of softball pitching, eh? So, "whip" in pitching is all about that super-smooth motion that looks like you're cracking a whip. It's when the pitcher's arm accelerates in a fluid arc, transferring energy from their legs and torso all the way to the fingertips as they unleash the ball like Zeus tossin' a lightning bolt. In softball, this whipping action is crucial because it's not just about muscling the ball to the plate; it's finesse and timing. A pitcher with a good whip can disguise their pitches, making it harder for the batter to read the spin, speed, and location of the ball. It's also easier on the arm, reducing stress and potential injury.

So, how do you get that whip in your pitch? It starts with a strong, explosive push off the rubber with your legs, using the ground to generate power. As you drive forward, your torso and arm should follow in a fluid motion, with your arm staying loose and relaxed. As you reach the release point, your hand should snap through the ball, creating that whip-like action.

It's important to also focus on proper mechanics and arm action. Keep your arm loose and relaxed throughout the motion, and avoid any extra tension or stiffness in your shoulder or elbow. Make sure your wrist is loose and flexible, allowing for a quick snap at the end of your release. Practicing with a weighted ball can also help develop a stronger, more explosive arm action. Start with a lighter weighted ball and gradually work your way up to heavier ones as you build strength and develop proper mechanics.

Cheese and rice. That thing is gonna put everyone out of business in a few years. A lot of that info was probably pulled from this site as well.

May 13, 2023
I've read through this whole thread and I still don't know what's trying to be achieved by the discussion.

I'm also about 10% suspicious that setpro is a real person, but testing some A.I. software. Forum discussion A.I. or something. The writing style has a very "A.I. generated search results" feel to it.

No offense. :)
That was polite. 👌same in armwhip discussion.
I am beyond 10% on that.

Aug 1, 2019
MN

Oh, you wanna dive into the mechanics of softball pitching, eh?
Must have been a Canadian bot, eh?
So, how do you get that whip in your pitch?.... As you reach the release point, your hand should snap through the ball, creating that whip-like action.
Bordering on sacrilege, combining whip with snap in the same sentence. Maybe I'll give it a pass for not specifically saying "wrist snap."

Apr 21, 2020
Updated videos any suggestions on her mechanics? Still pulling shoulder some any drills you would suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
Updated videos any suggestions on her mechanics? Still pulling shoulder some any drills you would suggest.

I usually refrain from commenting on videos people post, since that is something I offer as part of my business (video analysis). But, I guess I'm not understand what you're asking for. What do you mean she's "still pulling shoulder"? What is her personal best with speed? Not that speed is the #1 thing but, I immediately saw 3 things which I would really add a lot more speed. So, whatever her top velocity is, I still see A LOT more that she's capable of. None of them involve "pulling shoulder" but then again, I'm not sure I know what you mean by that exactly. I have not read all 5 pages of this thread, so maybe it was something someone else said earlier. I am strictly going on what I saw from the latest video you posted. But I'm very curious to understand what you're referring to because I'm not seeing a shoulder issue from what I just saw.

Apr 21, 2020
I usually refrain from commenting on videos people post, since that is something I offer as part of my business (video analysis). But, I guess I'm not understand what you're asking for. What do you mean she's "still pulling shoulder"? What is her personal best with speed? Not that speed is the #1 thing but, I immediately saw 3 things which I would really add a lot more speed. So, whatever her top velocity is, I still see A LOT more that she's capable of. None of them involve "pulling shoulder" but then again, I'm not sure I know what you mean by that exactly. I have not read all 5 pages of this thread, so maybe it was something someone else said earlier. I am strictly going on what I saw from the latest video you posted. But I'm very curious to understand what you're referring to because I'm not seeing a shoulder issue from what I just saw.

Thank you for commenting on this post. I respect your opinion greatly. You actually helped a few years ago with my oldest daughter when she was throwing a bullet spin.
This is my youngest 13u she usually is hitting 55-56 mph. She has a problem with pulling her shoulder and pushing the ball. I’m pretty sure we have that figured out that she can’t whip without being stacked. So we are working hard with ground force and staying stacked. She has also been in the gym for the last month which is help with her front side resistance.

Aug 21, 2008
Thank you for commenting on this post. I respect your opinion greatly. You actually helped a few years ago with my oldest daughter when she was throwing a bullet spin.
This is my youngest 13u she usually is hitting 55-56 mph. She has a problem with pulling her shoulder and pushing the ball. I’m pretty sure we have that figured out that she can’t whip without being stacked. So we are working hard with ground force and staying stacked. She has also been in the gym for the last month which is help with her front side resistance.

I'm glad I helped in the past.

I'm sorry, I don't exactly follow what being stacked means. Please don't get too bogged down with these things (almost like buzzwords) such as "Front side resistance". I'm not suggesting it's unimportant. I am saying sometimes we can to fix things that aren't broken or worry about that while neglecting something that does need more attention. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles