Calling the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I think I should go over this with DD again--maybe while we're driving to practice tomorrow. The way I remember it in my mind is that, with the exception of the center fielder (who is the Supreme High Poobah, LOL), the lower position number yields to the higher number.

Never heard it explained that way but that makes it a lot simpler to learn and remember. Thanks.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Rather than comparing position numbers (if they know them or, don't laugh, think its a better idea to use their uniform numbers) or memorizing a set of rules, IMO, its easiest to remember the priorities from a functional perspective, especially for players who play multiple postions. Just another way to think about it.

Pop Up Priorities - from lowest to highest

Catcher
Pitcher
Corners (1B and 3B)
Middles (2B and SS)
SS
Outfielders (LF, CF, RF)
CF

C ranks lower than P because 1) their glove isn't designed to catch pop ups 2) the C rarely sees the initial/full trajectory of the ball which makes it more difficult for them to project where it will land

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
C ranks lower than P because 1) their glove isn't designed to catch pop ups 2) the C rarely sees the initial/full trajectory of the ball which makes it more difficult for them to project where it will land

Everything you said... plus,.. Every pop-up originates at the catcher and is moving away from her. If someone/anyone else can get to it, it's a much easier catch.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
One thing to add, the fielder with priority needs to call off the other fielders in time for them to peel off. I've seen a lot of plays where middle infield and outfield are both going hard for a gapper. Either neither calls it and IF stops because they hear the OF footsteps or OF calls it so late there is a near collision. I agree that Middle IF should keep going if not called off, but OF coming in should read the ball well enough to know if they've got a better shot at it and call off the IF early or allow the IF enough room to make the catch.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I agree that pro players make these calls appear seamless. I believe they appear this way because even in the bigs they have priorities over who takes which ball. When someone breaks rank so to speak you still have collisions.

If you want the way that every professional team does it, then softballphreak's priority list has it. The verbal command that is predominantly used in professional baseball is "I'VE GOT IT!" "I'VE GOT IT!" "I'VE GOT IT!" (easier to make out and distinguish in large crowds)

Pros also use a non-verbal gesture on top of the verbal. This is because with large crowds, hearing your teammate can be difficult (especially an outfielder trying to hear an infielder). The non-verbal motion is with the arms waiving if they are camped under the ball or if they have a very good beat on it.

"I'VE GOT IT!" 3 times with a non-verbal.

Last edited:
May 5, 2008
This is a VERY important topic that many coaches overlook. I agree with the others that PRIORITY is critical. I use the same one softballphreak posted.

Some coaches say whoever calls it loudest or first, but in the heat of the game, if you're calling it as loud as you can, you think it's you! That can be very dangerous.

It also NEEDS to be practiced and emphasized. If a player with priority calls the ball, you must make them go hard to get it and make the other players back off. Don't tell them "good job" because the catch was made, but priorities were ignored. Don't yell at the non-priority player for backing off a ball they could have caught because a priority player called it but didn't go hard and catch it. I say these things because I've seen it happen.

Hammer home how important it is to ALWAYS abide by the priorities. This allows the priority fielder to KNOW that if they call the back, the others WILL back off. They cannot go hard to the ball if they don't have that trust. That trust is not built if coach allows non-priority player to catch the ball when they shouldn't!

As a middle infielder, I never had to call balls heading toward the outfield. I just went after them as if they were mine to catch and if OF called, I backed off. Period. If they didn't say anything, we both knew I would be going full blast for that ball.

Another reason it has to be practiced is that everyone needs to get used to making as quick a read as possible on the ball so they are not calling it out with enough time for the other player to give room instead of calling at the last minute.

This also requires that any player that calls for the ball really be intent and fully focused on making that catch because they know others are giving way to them. I think it helps them really focus more to make sure they make that catch. On teams where this is not set up and more than one person is calling or no one is calling they always have an "excuse" as to why the didn't catch it. (I thought she was going to get it, she ran to close to me, etc).

Well practices and emphasized priorities take out ALL the guesswork in those pop-up situations. That ball always belongs to someone. That someone should always make a full effort to go after that ball.

We also do require that a player calling the ball has to call a minimum of 3 times. We also choose a word or phrase to use so everyone is saying and therefore listening for the same thing. I used to always acknowledge that I heard the call and was backing off by saying the player's name so she knew I that I did hear here and wouldn't be in the way.

On one team I played on, player calling said "I go, I go, I go" and the acknowledgement was just "You, you, you."

I used to also hold my arms out on the sides of me if I was camped out under a ball (similar to what others describe with outfielders waving their arms). It's not so much for my teammates to see, since we're all looking at the ball, but for me to feel that no one was around and for them to feel that they need to stop and move out of the way if they were in that area.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
What helps is to make sure the outfield and infield are using different verbal cues to call for the ball. For instance, infield might use "ball ball ball", where outfield might use "mine mine mine". If two girls are shouting, it's a lot easier to yield to the girl yelling "mine mine mine" when you're yelling "ball ball ball" since you know the "mine" has priority.

-W

Aug 18, 2011
After reading this post I thing we don't pay enough attention to priority. For our U10 girls we teach ss and 2nd are "captains" of their side and cf is captain of the outfield. We teach "ball! ball! ball!" for the player with the best angle and "take it! take it! take it!" for the backup(saw this at Michigan Baseball Camp).

Aug 2, 2008
Good post Stacie,
As a middle infielder, I never had to call balls heading toward the outfield. I just went after them as if they were mine to catch and if OF called, I backed off. Period. If they didn't say anything, we both knew I would be going full blast for that ball.

Especially that.

Really alot of great feedback here.

They must truely understand priorities for it to work seamlessly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck