Calling the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I agree with Quincy, don't confine any player to any area. It is your ball unless you are called off by the proper player. You never know if someone may slip, get tangled with a runner etc. Never assume "x" will get it.

Aug 2, 2008
just when I think I have it all figured out :). I like things that make sense and all that makes sense.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had pitchers that came into my college program that never fielded a ground ball. I would say something like "That one was yours." And they would say "I was taught to never field a ball." I guess never is a little extreme, but that is what they would say.

I know some D1s that aren't supposed to pick up a ground ball. (Just another thought.)

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
DD was one of two pitchers on her team. The other pitcher never moved for any balls. On more than one occasion a pop fly actually landed in the circle by her as she watched it. No matter what the coach did she just never made the effort.

On the subject of communication, one of DD's teams (12 U I believe) used two phrases when communicating on a fly ball: "Mine, Mine, Mine" (for the player calling the ball) and "Take-it, Take-it, Take-it" (for the player backing up the catch). The logic was he wanted both players communicating on each ball. He got tired of nobody calling it and watching it fall between the two players ("I thought she was going to get it"). If they were both calling "Mine"... then the phrase "Take-it" let the other know when one of the players was backing off. Not saying it worked 100%, but at 12U it helped out quite a bit.

Aug 2, 2008
Goobie I agree that completing the communication loop is essential....most of the time. We were sitting front row between 3rd and Lf at a Mariners game (no jokes please) and Milton Bradley (again, no jokes please) came flying in towards 3rd calling mine in a commanding voice and Chone Figgens (you know the drill) peeled off having never taken his eyes off the ball. There was no completing the communication loop. They just seemed to know. Having said all that saying "take it" or "yours" when being called off would let the of'er know you heard the call off and are getting out of the way.

Mar 13, 2010
Amy I watched one of our state's open teams (so the level just below national team) where a pop fly went into the pitching circle. Third base took it. Standing on the plate. I was gobsmacked!

I teach them to call their names, mine is too easy to sync up.

Oct 25, 2009
Amy I watched one of our state's open teams (so the level just below national team) where a pop fly went into the pitching circle. Third base took it. Standing on the plate. I was gobsmacked!

I teach them to call their names, mine is too easy to sync up.

That's the way it should have happened. The pitcher would have been well in front of the "plate" if you're referring to the pitching rubber. She would have had to go backward.

Apr 1, 2010
FPMark has the answer. Every player must know the priority of the position they are playing. Many times, especially at younger levels, the players give in to the "better" athletes. Those are usually infielders, especially ss. Outfielders must KNOW they have priority!

There are charts that map priorities very clearly. Again, EACH player must know their position's priority AND who has priority over them.

Pitcher (1) has priority over no one.
Catcher (2) has priority over the Pitcher.
1st Base (3) has priority over the Pitcher and Catcher.
2nd Base (4) has priority over 1st, Pitcher, Catcher.
3rd Base (5) has priority over Pitcher, Catcher.
SS (6) has priority over all infielders, Pitcher, Catcher.
LF (7) has priority over all infielders.
CF (8) has priority over everyone.
RF (9) has priority over all infielders.

I think I should go over this with DD again--maybe while we're driving to practice tomorrow. The way I remember it in my mind is that, with the exception of the center fielder (who is the Supreme High Poobah, LOL), the lower position number yields to the higher number.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32