Bringing an all star team together - cohesion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2011
My league quickly assembled an all-star 8U team to play in a tourney this weekend. The girls are wearing their own various uniforms. I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to make the girls feel like a cohesive team in this situation? They will have had two practices (the second one is tomorrow) before the games start on Friday evening.

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2010
Are you referring to the different colored uniforms? Hair bands or ribbons same color. Tough to start a bond with two practices. At the games I would try to keep them together as much as possible when not playing. We bring an enclosed trailer that has food and snacky type stuff in it on a table. We setup a grill and cook hotdogs for them. We have a canopy for them to sit under too. Our girls, 12U allstars, hangout together in and around the trailer. It really helps them to get to know each other and for the parents to get to know each other too.

Mar 15, 2010
I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to make the girls feel like a cohesive team in this situation?

Super glue. At first I was going to recommend a staple gun but that would leave a permanent mark.

On a serious note, you should check association and/or tournament rules to confirm if they have a rule on uniforms. Below is an example of a uniform rule from ASA. If a rule is in place you can have them all wear white T-Shirts, use duct tape for numbers and then shorts or matching pants. It works, had to do this once years ago when I was in the same situation with a hastily formed team.

Rule 3, Sec 6. UNIFORM. All players on a team shall properly wear uniforms that are alike in color and style. Sleeves or straps of the uniform top may be adjusted, with or with-out tie-ups, to comfort the player. If the uniform is tied up, the numbers must be visible; otherwise the ties must be removed.

Feb 3, 2011
Definitely start with uniforms. Same colored t-shirts and shorts are the best way to start. Their individual team visors should be fine. They probably begin to come together until they're had a chance to play some games together.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I, too, thought that there might be a rule requiring identical uniforms. I have spent many nights ironing numbers on t-shirts. You can buy them at Michael's and fabric stores.

Jun 24, 2009
I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to make the girls feel like a cohesive team in this situation? They will have had two practices (the second one is tomorrow) before the games start on Friday evening.

Thanks!

Give them a pizza party in the outfield when practice is over. You would not believe how much these strangers will talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
The ASA rule is enforced for the ASA's own regional and state tournaments (usually the last tournament of the season), but most other all-star tournaments will wave it - though you may want to tell the organizer in advance. We played that way for a while one year when time was short.

I doubt that 8yo kids are so lacking in personality that they'll turn into good friends just because they wear the same color clothes. Creating a pleasant atmosphere in practice and tournaments will be much more important. Like CPSBDad suggested, do things together. Be sure you focus at least as much effort on getting the parents all on one page as you spend on the kids.

Not to be a pessimist, but unfortunately the whole all-star environment is really stacked against team cohesion: The team is already divided into cliques based on the regular season teams they came from. All players were probably pitchers or short-stops, and now they suddenly need to play the outfield. All-stars is supposed to be more competitive, so equal playing time may be out the window, errors become more important, etc.; the girls may not care who makes errors, but the parents sure will. These are the good players in your league, but you're bound to run into teams that will really cream you. If you're used to the rec ball pace, then playing tournaments five weekends in a row will run everyone ragged. Sorry, I didn't mean to discourage you. Just be prepared, especially so that you in turn can prepare the parents.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
(1) Get the parents together, and ask them not to have any parties that exclude any girls on the team for any reason.
(2) Tell the girls that from the time that they arrive at the field for practice or a game, then they are not to go anywhere except in a group of more than 4. That includes going to and from the bathroom. If anyone does, the whole team runs. That also includes going to a game where the team meets and then drives somewhere else.
(3) If the team is taking a break, they all stay together. E.g., if the girls want to go sit under an oak tree, then they *ALL* go sit under the oak tree. If someone needs to go get a drink of water or the bathroom during the break, then see rule (2).

Mar 15, 2010
The ASA rule is enforced for the ASA's own regional and state tournaments (usually the last tournament of the season), but most other all-star tournaments will wave it - though you may want to tell the organizer in advance.

I thought that as well. Coach in a non div/reg/state tournament complained as the local playing rules had a line the said if a rule was not in the local playing rules than ASA rules were in force. Vocal coach complained, tournament Director caved, hence the need for my team to play in white t-shirts with duct taped numbers. Best part? We mercy ruled him in 4.

Definitely agree that checking with the tournament first is important.

Mar 28, 2011
Not to be a pessimist, but unfortunately the whole all-star environment is really stacked against team cohesion: The team is already divided into cliques based on the regular season teams they came from. All players were probably pitchers or short-stops, and now they suddenly need to play the outfield. All-stars is supposed to be more competitive, so equal playing time may be out the window, errors become more important, etc.; the girls may not care who makes errors, but the parents sure will. These are the good players in your league, but you're bound to run into teams that will really cream you. If you're used to the rec ball pace, then playing tournaments five weekends in a row will run everyone ragged. Sorry, I didn't mean to discourage you. Just be prepared, especially so that you in turn can prepare the parents.

Pessimistic, No, Realistic I think. That's a great observation and is my current experience. Although we have yet to play a game, first tournament this weekend, after several practices I can already sense tension between staff and parents. Everyone is jousting for positions and playtime. The girls have never played or practiced at this pace, 6 pitchers, 6 catchers and one shortstops on the team, playing time will be earned and not granted, home plate is live, at least 4 games this weekend if not more, none of them have ever played more than two in a weekend, Oh man............... I think everyone’s in for a ride! I anticipate much drama by Monday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00