Botched Ump penalty imposed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
had a HS game last week.

VERY competitive game between 2 of the top-4 teams in our Section.
a 1-1 game up to the 4th inning. where Team A went up 3-1.

5th inning, Team A generates another rally.
Base loaded, 0 outs.
Player 05 in the next Batter, and approaches the plate.
Team B Coach calls time.
Assistant coach makes a visit to the circle and calls the infield in.
Head coach has a quick conference with the HP Umpire.
Player 05 gets ejected from the game for violating the "Jewelry Rule" (she has a small stud nose ring, in place).

An extended break in the action occurs while the Umpire's penalty is discussed with both head coaches.

Team B head coach then makes the case that the Jewelry Rule violation is "unsportsmanlike conduct",
and the Team A head coach must also exit the game. Threatens to file formal protest if that doesn't happen.

So, Team A Coach concedes, mainly because it is a big win for his team if they can hold or build upon their small lead.

Play resumes.
Bench Sub for Player 05 strikes out on 3 pitches.
Then, Player 06 smacks a line drive double to the left field fence, and three runs score...
(a bit of "poetic justice" at work here)

My Point:
1. The umpire's interpretation of the Jewelry Rule violation was correct: the wearing of a nose piercing definitely violates this rule.
2. The Umpire's application of penalty for violating this rule was not substantiated by the governing ruleset.

This umpire let himself be influenced by a bully of a coach who was scratching and clawing to find any means to try and disrupt a rally that would probably cause him to lose the game.

Team A ended up winning the game 8-1.

Umpires: if you don't know or are unsure of the proper penalty for a rules violation, maybe imposing the most severe possible outcome might not be the best choice.

The next day, Athletic Director for Team A contacts the Umpire Chapter that officiates our HS games.

The Director performs an official evaluation of what transpired and issued a formal responses that the penalties imposed are not part of the ruleset and should not have occurred.

a portion of that email clipped below:

In both cases, neither the player nor coach should be penalized for an ejection that was not supported by rule or for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Following last night’s varsity softball game, our chapter softball interpreter researched the jewelry rule and provided the following. This was sent to all our members this morning.

Jewelry Rule Procedure - NYSSO Softball

1. At ground rules, remind both teams that players are not permitted to wear jewelry during the game.

2. At ground rules, ask both coaches if their players are legally and properly equipped.

3. During the game, if it is brought to your attention that a player is wearing jewelry, do the following:

a. In the presence of the head coach, verify the presence of the jewelry. State that in order to participate in the game, the player may not wear jewelry.

b. If the player removes it, continue on and play ball.

c. If the player refuses to remove it, that player cannot participate in the game and the coach would need to put in a substitute.

Instructions to Umpires:

Don't let a coach pressure you into enforcing a penalty that does not exist. Some coaches will insist that a player should be ejected or called out or that a coach should be ejected. This is not the case in NYSSO softball.
Another example of an ignorant coach thinking he is bigger than the game. Let the kids play!!! These coaches that complain and challenge every call really take the fun out of the game and frustrate the umpires.

Apr 28, 2019
I disagree. An umpire should have safety in mind at all times. The kids are there to compete and have fun. No fun when somebody gets hurt.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I disagree. An umpire should have safety in mind at all times. The kids are there to compete and have fun. No fun when somebody gets hurt.

The umpires job is to officiate the game by the rules under which the teams elected to play in the manner the sanctioning body set forth.

Apr 28, 2019
The umpires job is to officiate the game by the rules under which the teams elected to play in the manner the sanctioning body set forth.
Everything is discretionary. Sure play through thunderstorms, let kids spike other kids, let kids throw other kids to the ground while applying a tag, no problem. As long as everything is Black & White we’re all set.

May 29, 2015

Indeed. And as part of that job we are to enforce rules that are put in place to keep your children safe, whether you like those rules or not.

I’m guessing you are that parent/coach that says “run her over if she’s in your base path.”

Apr 28, 2019
Indeed. And as part of that job we are to enforce rules that are put in place to keep your children safe, whether you like those rules or not.

I’m guessing you are that parent/coach that says “run her over if she’s in your base path.”
You would be incorrect. Respect the game, respect your opponent, respect the umps (this is tough because there are so many bad ones out there) Play fair and play hard.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Well, you must be guessing about everything since I have never been a softball player parent or coach. And I stand by my statement which has been true since I started umpiring in 1966

May 29, 2015
Well, you must be guessing about everything since I have never been a softball player parent or coach. And I stand by my statement which has been true since I started umpiring in 1966

I did say I was guessing about you. So I’ll say sorry for missing that one, thank you for your years behind the plate, and that we will have to agree that we have different philosophies on player safety and play on.

Can I ask this (in all honesty and with respect): is that difference possibly generational? In a broad and general observation, it seems to be “more seasoned” umpires that seem less focused on player safety issues. I’ve been umpiring about a decade now (not going to do that thing where you tack on years of unsanctioned umpiring) and it was something that has been driven into me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13