Botched Ump penalty imposed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I do share the concerns here of some umpires and safety. It is their job to enforce the rules but also worry about safety. Isn't that the background behind so my of the most recent rules changes? BTW, I have been sued as an umpire/rec director. Yes, back in the day I was a rec director. We had a game where an adult softball player claimed that the hole in the batter's box was responsible for an injury he sustained in a game. He and his lawyers then added to the lawsuit that I was umpiring the game and did not have my umpire's patch. Therefore, the basis of the lawsuit was that I allowed play on an unsafe field and was not a sanctioned umpire. We easily won the lawsuit and I could prove that I had my ASA patch for over a decade at that point. I was filling in for an umpire that was stuck in traffic after a car crash and could not get around the crash. As an FYI, that was a very long time ago and so, keep that in mind.

Dec 11, 2010
For the record, MTR has been a long term leading contributor to this site. His posts are always accurate, worth reading and considering.

He and Comp are pretty much the first and last word in the rules section. They have both earned respect among the longtime readers, lurkers and posters here.

Jan 27, 2019
I do share the concerns here of some umpires and safety. It is their job to enforce the rules but also worry about safety. Isn't that the background behind so my of the most recent rules changes? BTW, I have been sued as an umpire/rec director. Yes, back in the day I was a rec director. We had a game where an adult softball player claimed that the hole in the batter's box was responsible for an injury he sustained in a game. He and his lawyers then added to the lawsuit that I was umpiring the game and did not have my umpire's patch. Therefore, the basis of the lawsuit was that I allowed play on an unsafe field and was not a sanctioned umpire. We easily won the lawsuit and I could prove that I had my ASA patch for over a decade at that point. I was filling in for an umpire that was stuck in traffic after a car crash and could not get around the crash. As an FYI, that was a very long time ago and so, keep that in mind.

Just for additional knowledge, did you have to hire an attorney to defend you? What were the costs to you and can you describe the inconvenience/nuisance? Was it a hassle? That type of thing

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
No, the city paid for the attorney since the lawsuit was focused on the "hole." As you all know, with the typical wear of a rec league softball league, there was wear in the batter's box which was repaired prior to the game but, of which rarely last long into the second game. Again, a part of the lawsuit was that I was a Park Director who was substituting for a sanctioned umpire and then allowed play on an unsafe field. As a part of that job, umpires were often running late and so, I had my patch and renewed it each year.

It was a hassle as the process is long and detailed. For example, I had to provide evidence of the maintenance done on this diamond on a dally basis. That included my employees all being interview and statements taken. Per having my patch, I had to also provide evidence that I actually umpired games away from my Rec Director position to demonstrate that I had experience. That was easy to do as most of you know that tournaments from the beginning of time always need additional or backup umpires. I had done plenty of games to demonstrate my competence. In fact, I had done the game before this game since this umpire was stuck behind that crash. I could then testify that I personally filled that hole in. A part of this process included an attempt by that player and his lawyer to "settle out of court." I refused to do that and the city lawyers knew I was so through in that position that we were going to win. We won.

Apr 28, 2019
Listen, being an umpire is a thankless job that pays jack. I appreciate anybody willing to step-up and contribute. All I ask is that they know the rules and call a fair game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I did say I was guessing about you. So I’ll say sorry for missing that one, thank you for your years behind the plate, and that we will have to agree that we have different philosophies on player safety and play on.

Can I ask this (in all honesty and with respect): is that difference possibly generational? In a broad and general observation, it seems to be “more seasoned” umpires that seem less focused on player safety issues. I’ve been umpiring about a decade now (not going to do that thing where you tack on years of unsanctioned umpiring) and it was something that has been driven into me.

My position has always been that the umpire is there to umpire and enforce the rules prescribed by the sanctioning bodies under which the team elected to play. And I would even if I did not agree with them. In addition to that, I have always maintained the umpire is otherwise neutral in all other matters.

What I do not concern myself with are responsibilities of the coaches and parents. AFA being generational, that is a possibility, but it doesn't make our opinion wrong. If you really wanted a safer game, the hot bats, hard balls and a larger field would be addressed, but that doesn't seem to be happening

Apr 10, 2018
I'd like the other umpires here to weigh in on this because I think I disagree. We aren't paying umpires to come and ensure everybody is safe. Enforcing certain safety rules is absolutely part of an umpire's job, but I don't think I'd hire an umpire who thinks his/her primary function is to make sure nobody gets hurt.
I think MIB might have been overstating for effect given the tone of the overall discussion (he can correct me if I'm wrong). I think maybe what he meant to say is that player safety should be of paramount priority at all times, and because the umpire is in a position of authority at the field once the plate meeting commences, it's part of his/responsibility to ensure that priority is respected. I don't know what level everybody in this discussion is involved with, but I will say I worry about it a lot more when I'm working rec league games at 12U and under. It's at that level (age-wise and competition-wise) where I'm often dealing with less experienced coaches who are doing crowd control as much as anything, and I'll often see things that they don't see (simply because they can't see everything). But I'll also say I've never had to deal with a player or coach who claimed that the earrings I asked them to remove were permanent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812