Batter interfering on wild pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
This was a 12U rec game with NFHS rules. Runner on third, wild pitch. The batter didn't move out of the way enough and the catcher's throw hit the batter. The ump didn't call anything other than the runner was safe. I know there should be an out called on someone - the batter out and the runner goes back to third? What's the correct call.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This was a 12U rec game with NFHS rules. Runner on third, wild pitch. The batter didn't move out of the way enough and the catcher's throw hit the batter. The ump didn't call anything other than the runner was safe. I know there should be an out called on someone - the batter out and the runner goes back to third? What's the correct call.
This sounds like a you had to be there situation. Too many variables to criticize, or confirm, the call of an official who was there

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

No way to make a call without more info or preferably a video of the play.

Jun 22, 2008
With a few exceptions, the player committing the interference is the one called out. Obviously a retired runner cannot be out twice, a coach cannot be called out and on deck batters or other team personnel canot be out so another offensive player would be out, usually the one closest to home.

Some rulesets can have more than one player called out when interference is called. For instance, in USA interference on a pop fly catchable with normal effort not only is the runner out, but the batter is also called out.

Nov 29, 2009
There's only one opinion that matters. The home plate umpire's. Apparently the umpire saw no interference.

If you have a question about the non-call you should have asked for time and asked the home plate umpire exactly what they saw and an explanation for the non-call.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
FWIW, the OP's question can absolutely be answered without being there.

It's not hard to assume interference was committed for the sake of helping the person understand the rules better. It's not being critical of the umpire who made no call.

The OP is looking for information. Thanks to Comp, he has that info now.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
FWIW, the OP's question can absolutely be answered without being there.

It's not hard to assume interference was committed for the sake of helping the person understand the rules better. It's not being critical of the umpire who made no call.

The OP is looking for information. Thanks to Comp, he has that info now.

I wont assume interference - all the description says is that the throw hit the batter. That doesn't mean there is interference.
Bad throw, no actual play to be made, batter took the right action, pitcher did something stupid in catching, etc, etc.

I've had these sorts of questions before, and the poster description 99% doesn't match the video or what really happened in any real way.

What is the right call on this particular call? I have no idea without more info.

Aug 12, 2014
The batter took 1 or 2 steps backward out of the box and was directly between the catcher and the plate. The throw appeared to be on-line to the pitcher covering the plate. It seemed like clear interference to both teams' coaches. Regardless of whether it actually was interference, as CoachJD said, let's assume that it should've been called. Comp said the batter would be called out. Does the runner go back to 3rd?

And not that it matters, my team was batting, so there was no reason for me to ask for an explanation of a call that went in my favor. But I would like my players to get called out when appropriate because they learn much quicker from that than from their coaches just telling them they need to get out of the way.

May 29, 2015
Did the umpire feel the batter made a "reasonable effort" to get out of the way? That is the standard under NFHS.

I agree that it is a "Had To Be There" or judgement call. 12u rec "reasonable effort" is much different than Varsity "reasonable effort" even if it is under the same rule set. Varsity game? No real good reason for a batter to still be close enough to be hit by a throw and I'm probably ringing up the batter and sending the runner back. 12u rec? It would strongly depend on the quality of the game and the player. "Reasonable" isn't very reasonable at that level.

1692933490402.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414