Ball Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
My DD is 10U and has excellent speed and location for her age. The problem is the spin of her ball. Her instructor says she needs more 6/12 rotation on the ball. Her rotation seems to be more 10/4. We have tried everything and can't seem to fix it.

Jan 27, 2010
If your DD has excellent speed and location,why would yo want to change it. It sounds to me from your description that she has a slight inward angle on her wrist at release. Have you asked your instructor if she may be more suited to a corkscrew fastball. THE 6/12 rotation will cause the ball to travel more in a straight path but the 10/4 can create a more down and in path to a right hand batter.

Sep 4, 2009
At that age and thru 12u There are issues with hand size versus ball size that can effect spin in that way, There are others on here that know much more than me on the subject but I would think that if that spin is really consistent it would be a good thing (and easy to correct as she grows enough to get the thumb in a better position)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm confused. 6/12 says "from 6 to 12", but 10 to 4 says "from 10 to 4". "6 to 12" is riseball spin, while "10 to 4" could be fastball or drop spin.

Is this for a fastball, rise or drop?

Feb 6, 2009
This question comes up all the time. Boardmember went through the description of what a fastball from a righty would look like with the gears when thrown with internal rotation. It showed them at more like 8-2. I watch the spin on my DD's drop/fastball and that's the spin I see all the time. If anyone is truly throwing a straight 6-12 spin, I would really love to see a video with a stripe on the ball showing it.

Jan 27, 2010
I'm confused. 6/12 says "from 6 to 12", but 10 to 4 says "from 10 to 4". "6 to 12" is riseball spin, while "10 to 4" could be fastball or drop spin.

Is this for a fastball, rise or drop?

I agree 6/12 is a riseball but since she was a 10 yr. old, I assumed he was asking about a 12/6 fastball. Maybe "mountyfan" will clarify. I agree more data is needed.

Feb 4, 2010
Hal her hand comes up and towards her opposite shoulder. She only throws a fastball and changeup. She has not really messed much with a drop or curveball. Do I really need to fix these spin problems. Should I not fix something that is not broken. Everyone comments on her great speed and control of the strike zone.

Feb 5, 2010
Good afternoon All, I'm new to the site and pitching for that matter but would like to chime in. I catch for my dd who has only been pitching for about 7 months. In this short time I have come across more information then I can shake a stick at and become more confused everyday. As this is one of just many questions that I've been wondering about I thought this might be a good time to jump in. My dd is 10 and is a lefty. Since the very begining the spin on her fastball has been 2/8 As time progress and I read more I was convinced that the rotation for a beginer should be 12/6. Now as I continue to read these threads I'm begining to wonder. I can get my daughter to throw 12/6 if her follow through is straight up however it does not seen natural to her. I have not video taper her yet( we live in Wis.) and it is hard to pitch in the snow and the lighting in our cave is poor. After reading threads about internal rotation I would if I'm trying to break a good habit. After watching building the house, dd has started pitching with 2 fingers instead of 3 but the spin is the same unless I correct her follow through. I would like to know if I should just let it spin naturaly and not be concerned. The rotation is better as well as the speed if left alone.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Mad & Mounty- I would leave them both alone. Its sounds like they are getting good internal rotation to me. HOwever, since I also am in the learning process, take my oppinion for what its worth....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207