Bad throws on purpose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
New coach this year for a second year 14U team with HUGE expectations (as a 13U team finished top 50 at 14U ASA/USA nationals this summer only losing to teams that finished in top 10). Coach was hitting grounders at practice yesterday and I watched my DD (from a distance - it was freezing so I was in my car) make one bad throw after another from 3rd. Highly unusual but even after practice I never said a word. This morning DD explained that she hated the drill at practice yesterday, and that's when I got the story. The coach told the girls to make bad throws on purpose so that the girls at first would get some work. Our coach from last year would never have had the girls do that. Would think that there are better ways of accomplishing the goal of having first practing scooping ball out of the dirt. What do you think? Should I say something? I mean it probably wasn't enough to build that so called "muscle memory," but there's just something a bit unsettling about watching DD make bad throws on purpose.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I never used the girls to do what you're describing. Let's face it, every now and then they ARE going to make bad throws, no need in me making a drill out of it. Now I'll do short hop drills to my 1b, but that's me throwing reserve in calculated angles. ( I'm afraid the girls in "competitive mode" might actually hurt the 1b )

Say anything? Like what? "My DD doesn't like the drills" "Shouldn't the girls practice another way" "Sitting in my warm car......the drill looked counter-productive :)".

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I never used the girls to do what you're describing. Let's face it, every now and then they ARE going to make bad throws, no need in me making a drill out of it. Now I'll do short hop drills to my 1b, but that's me throwing reserve in calculated angles. ( I'm afraid the girls in "competitive mode" might actually hurt the 1b )

But as you note, that is YOU making calculated throws. What this coach is doing is have F3 receiving the throws from the players she will be seeing across the field at the same velocity she will see in a game. I wouldn't suggest you have the infielders try and beat F3, but I certainly understand what the coach was doing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
But as you note, that is YOU making calculated throws. What this coach is doing is have F3 receiving the throws from the players she will be seeing across the field at the same velocity she will see in a game. I wouldn't suggest you have the infielders try and beat F3, but I certainly understand what the coach was doing.

Haha, well obviously you don't know my girls. :) It would probably start off useful and then the drill would turn more into dodge ball. What do you think would happen when my SS can burn my 1b and the 3b can't? 3b is going to start throwing harder and wilder than the drill calls for. Then you have 2b only a few feet away throwing full speed to show her arm.

Let's remember the whole purpose of this drill is to work 1b. Here is my other point, once my infielders start throwing the missiles around and the 1b takes a couple to the shin, hip, chin..................there probably is not going to be a lot of love between team members.

Guess I'm not saying it is wrong, just not what I would use.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been a 1st baseman all of my playing career and thank you, no. You get enough practice scooping throws out of the dirt, just during normal throws. This reminds me of when my SP team picked up a new woman that was going to play SS. She said to me "I am going to bounce the ball to you." I laughed and thought that she was kidding.

Maybe she could come help your coach out.

As a parent, I wouldn't say anything to the coach. He is trying to be helpful, I guess.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In the past we have played a game to help 1st base get some practice fielding bad throws. We put all of the girls who do not play 1B at 3B or SS fielding grounders. All girls who play 1B are in a line taking turns covering 1B. The 1B is on the bag with two orange cones, one set up one big step to her left and the other one big step to her right. The object of the girls at 3B/SS is to throw the ball past the 1B between the cones. Every time they do they get a point. Every time 1B stop the ball, they get a point. Team with the most points wins! Throws outside the cones or over the 1B head is a point for 1B team.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
There's a better way to accomplish what he wants. For instance, there is a drill that I do -- take a bucket of balls out towards 2B -- almost to the bag on the outfield side-- then hit one hop and two hop grounders to the 1B and have them try to make plays on them as if they were throws. You get the velocity that you want and the bad hops.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Our coach from last year would never have had the girls do that. Would think that there are better ways of accomplishing the goal of having first practing scooping ball out of the dirt. What do you think? Should I say something? I mean it probably wasn't enough to build that so called "muscle memory," but there's just something a bit unsettling about watching DD make bad throws on purpose.

I don't have a problem w/ this drill. Not recommending it, but it's no big deal, IMO. It's not going to ruin their throws to first, and it does give the 1B some practice while also giving the other infielders practice in fielding the ball.

Should you say something? Of course not. Coaches don't need parents second-guessing every drill or move they make.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would prefer that the coach spend the time actually teaching the girls to throw. I sometimes am forced to dress like a hockey goalie, over there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd