Artice related to hitting - How To Increase Your Golf Swing Speed And POWER

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2013
San Antonio TX.
What is your opinion in how this relate to a batters swing as well ?

How To Increase Your Golf Swing Speed And POWER! | jiromyhero

How To Increase Your Golf Swing Speed And POWER!
by JIROMYHERO
One of the greatest ball strikers of all time, Moe Norman once said “it’s the centrifugal force that comes from the body and through the arms and into the club head, that is the way to generate power.” In order to understand what Moe means, we need to take a closer look at what centrifugal force is.

Centrifugal force: Moving outwards away from the center

Centripetal force: Moving inwards towards the center

speed and power.jpg

Often golfers trying to generate swing speed end up moving their body’s way too fast leading to inconsistency and loss of power. When the body is faster, the arm speed slows down. Because the body and the arms are not in sync, CENTRIFUGAL force is not generated. This normally results in a last minute catch up of the arms coming into the ball and will often be a flick of the wrists in a desperate attempt to generate speed.

I work on building a swing where the body and arms work in harmony. This results in faster clubhead speed with the arms releasing maximum centrifugal force at the ball. It is important to understand that centrifugal force is released into the ball and centripetal force will accelerate the clubhead as the arms and body changes direction to finish the swing. This is what elite players do well and what we call “effortless power”.

With that said, I will see you on the first tee.

May 3, 2014
Absolutely agree. My only golf swing thought is getting the a stretch in the rear glute/hip in the back swing and then starting forward before the back swing is completed. If I rush the arms I am toast - If I rush the lower body I am toast. If anything I feel like I slow down my arms (as I will tend to rush the arms down) and barely swing when I really paste one. I guess that is the harmony this guy talks about.

But, I feel that this is impossible with a weak undeveloped core. Your core needs to brace up to allow the centrifugal/centripetal force to happen.

May 3, 2014
With all the core exercises out there, Any thoughts on specific core exercises that will help accomplish this.

Start with basic planks. The ability to hold a plank position for 2-3 minutes is IMO a must to develop basic core strength. Side planks are next. Kettlebell swings. Bottoms up kettlebell carries. Suitcase or farmer carries. These are all basic moves that will really improve core stability to allow you to swing faster without degrading the movement. Works extremely well for pitchers, too. Found this swing a fews weeks back but is more advanced. This really improves single leg drive as well as core stabiliity

uSg28y.gif

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Great stuff Butter!! Thanks, I'm a big fan of planks and kettlebells. A side benefit to kettlebells and farmers carries, I see, is improved grip strength. I grew up in the 70's when ballplayers like Steve Garvey had massive Popeye forearms and could tear apart phone books. Now I'm really dating myself, what's a phone book. The google of our day :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Great stuff Butter!! Thanks, I'm a big fan of planks and kettlebells. A side benefit to kettlebells and farmers carries, I see, is improved grip strength. I grew up in the 70's when ballplayers like Steve Garvey had massive Popeye forearms and could tear apart phone books. Now I'm really dating myself, what's a phone book. The google of our day :)

Yes to the grip strength! Forgot to mention that. There is also a swing I saw on the internet that I cannot find now. Basically you get into a skiers position and you can do this one handed. Swing a kettlebell on your side (not between your legs) and keep the other arm back like you coming down a ski jump. As you swing the kettlebel one handed DO NOT extend the hips and raise up. Stay down in the skiers pose and brace to stay as still as you can while swinging one handed. That's a good burn at about 20 reps with a good weight. You will really learn how to use your feet to adjust your balance. Quads/glutes/hamstrings/core all get a good workout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors