Are summer softball camps woth the money and time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2013
I really believe it more boils down to where the camp is and what the purpose of the camp is. I currently play in college now, but when I was in the process of recruitment, I went to lots of beneficial camps. One in particular was the Kent State camp. What I liked most about it was that there were LOTS of college coaches there besides the ones that worked with the Kent State camp. The idea of it was for recruitment, and you got the opportunity to work one on one with those college coaches, and really get to talk to them, which was great. I have also been to some not so great ones, ones that were specifically to fundraise for a program. But in the end, I think it was beneficial because I was able to learn about some different hitting and fielding styles, as well as get a feel for a school and program that I was potentially interested in. It's all about evaluating the camp and why you want to do it. Is it to work with a specific coach/coaching staff, or are you looking at a wide range of schools. Hope this helps!

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD just completed her freshman year of high school ball on the varsity team. We have been to several college run camps and I have to agree that they are fundraisers for the school. She got some good tidbits and some conflicting coaching from the college players. So okay but not great. She has been invited to two "showcase" camps this summer with over 40 college coaches at each one at a cost of $500 each. I am hoping for a better experience...

Hands down one of the best camps DD has been to. There was a ton of coaches there and not a cattle call of kids.
DD actually saw some of these coaches again at a tournament and they knew her by name. Actually she went to another camp this Fall and several of the coaches were at that camp and she was used as an example of what to do! "They pointed out that before the camp started that all the girls were standing around waiting and the coaches were in a group a bit away and she was the first one to go up to them and shake their hand and say good morning and chit chat" That stood out to them! She was also 1 of 3 that after the camp was over stayed and talked to the coaches. She didn't let the opportunity get away from her...
Price is awesome and def worth it!

Dobbins Softball Consulting & Development

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
If you have boat-loads of money to spend on DD's softball development.... Sure, go ahead and spend it.

I, myself, haven't felt the camps are worth what is paid. But then again, I'm biased, I have tried to hold practices where the best material from this site is taught. I don't think all the stuff taught at camps is necessarily perfect instruction, as if that exists anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck