Are summer softball camps woth the money and time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Just curious of opinions and experiences from sending their DDs to summer softball camps.
Im looking at a handful of camps and trying to decide which one would be a good one. Some are pricy, is it worth the effort and cash to get her there. Is there a camp that somebody would recommend around IN, IL, OH, MI area.

Im hoping my DD can get get in a fun learning environment while being around some college players and hopefully can polish her skills and maybe learn something new.

Feb 7, 2013
First off, college summer softball camps are fundraisers for the school's softball program. With that said, my DD attended at UCLA camp (4 days, 3 nights) and she had a great time. She didn't get great coaching but DD and friends got a taste of the college experience (e.g. stayed in the dorms on campus) and all of the instructors were current or former college players. So the bottom-line is do it for the experience not necessarily for the instruction/recruiting purposes.

Dec 7, 2011
I would answer - "It depends".

I hauled my DD to school-led camps, multi-school-led camps, independant organization-led camps. We weren't "crazy" in the numbers we went to but did enough to get a feel.

The "depends" part is based on how impartial you can be about your DD's assessment as an athlete and a team-player. Both critical.

If your DD is not a stand-out in either then I would say the only thing you are going to get out of the BIG camps is a great experience, chance to compare your skills to the recruiting crowd, and a further recognition on what you will need to get better at to become a stand-out the next time.

My personal bias is towards the non-school-led events where coaches, OFF SEASON, actually play coach with players in round-robin format. In these events I have seen the best example of coaches having their eyes wide open to potential recruits because at these events the coaches are not stricken with needing to "run" the event - they just participate.

On a final note - my DD started to get attention from these once she figured out it was about "the phrase that pays" for these events which is "Line Drives and Defensive Dives,... or just stay home...."

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Camp is a great way for your DD to get some one-on-one time with a coach IF that coach is interested in DD as a potential recruit. As was said above, this requires some honesty about DD's talents and "recruitability," and perhaps some intel from your TB coach as to the level of interest. DD's college coach specifically said DD's performance at camps and clinics made a difference. Otherwise for most girls camps are cattle calls and a t-shirt selling/buying opportunity.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just curious of opinions and experiences from sending their DDs to summer softball camps.
Im looking at a handful of camps and trying to decide which one would be a good one. Some are pricy, is it worth the effort and cash to get her there. Is there a camp that somebody would recommend around IN, IL, OH, MI area.

Im hoping my DD can get get in a fun learning environment while being around some college players and hopefully can polish her skills and maybe learn something new.

It depends...

What age group and what level of player? It is different if it is a recruiting effort versus say looking for instruction or looking for a fun time or a mix or on campus stay or even just a chance to interact with some local college level players... If your DD's goal matches up with the camp then it can be very successful

My daughter has been to some great camps for softball and some not so great.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It has been a really long time, since my DD went, but she went to one at the UofI (IL.) Staying in the dorm was good. Getting away from home was good. One of her friends cried every night to go home, so there is some growing that goes on. I wouldn't go to several of them, due to the cost, but one or two would be good.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert on camps, but my DD has been to a few. First off, camps are money makers, so don't go in with high expectations. If you can get into a "prospect" camp that is upper level or invite only, it is probably a good time for your DD to showcase her talent. A lot of schools will offer multiple camps - try to stay away from ones that are for 8-18 year olds.

My DD was invited to one camp that had multiple age groups, but when they divided the camp into groups it was obvious that the coaching staff had stacked all of their current verbal commits and prospects into one group.

Jun 29, 2013
I think so. My DDs have been to the Sac. State camp (1/2 day) and the Nike camp (all day, not sleepover yet) and they both benefited more than they realized. They pick up things from the coaches (at Sac. State it was the players, at Nike it was former college players) that they don't even think of when they start doing them later. Neither were terribly expensive, and the young women who coach are great role models for my kids. I've heard that paying for private lessons is probably a better investment and I can't disagree, in general, but for $200 you get 8 hours of group lessons, or for $240 or so 16, and they get to meet girls their age that they wouldn't otherwise ever know. We had great experiences at each, still keep in touch with the coaches of each, and really have no regrets.

Sep 17, 2009
"Line drives and defensive dives" -- always a good way to get attention, Rubber Biscuit. I'll be using that one : )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812