9YO vid suggestions??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2009
recent video(cell phone so quality isn't great). Looking for any suggestions on where improvements can be made.

She is a pretty solid game pitcher w/ a changeup that she throws reliably(for a 9yo) around the zone. pitches #5,6,7 in the vid are changes(also 2:36 to 3:10 pitches are changes.) general fb speed is 41-43.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/acLOSbNUPaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Her body is not opening enough throughout the pitch. As someone who used to pitch like that and ended up with a SERIOUS shoulder injury you need to change that and change it now. Anything else can wait until that is fixed, because that is a serious flaw she has right now and for her future health you need to fix it.

I did laugh quite hard when she turns to you at the start and goes 'Are you recording me?' Sweet kid!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She has a real common problem. Her left shoulder should go "down and under" and not "up and over".

First, have her watch this video and concentrare on Finch's right shoulder. Ask her to describe the movement of Finch's shoulder. She should say something like, "it is up at 12 and then it is down at 6 (release)."

Take her out and have her do long throws overhand and tell her to focus on her shoulder motion and ask her how her shoulder moves. She should say it drops down when she takes the ball back, and then goes up as the ball goes over her shoulder.

In fastpitch, since the ball goes *under* the shoulder, the shoulder goes UP at the beginning and then DOWN as the ball goes under the shoulder. This is pretty simple to get...the fastpitch motion is "upside down" when compared to the overhand throwing motion.

After you explain it to her, then have her get open--facing first base (your DD is a leftie). You put your left hand on her left shoulder. Have her take the ball to 12 o'clock position and throw. You push down on her left shoulder. Do that until she gets the feel for it.

Then, have her work on it pitching. You have to track her shoulder movement when she throws, so you better get yourself a mask or a good dentist...your choice.

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the comments.

Sluggers, thank you for mentioning that left shoulder. We have discussed it and she has seen video of herself and what she is doing. Hopefully I can show her your input for more reinforcement that she can make a significant improvement there.

Any suggestions on her timing w/ her stride foot land/arm circle position? It looks like her foot is touching a little earlier than what I've seen mentioned on here as optimal. Thanks again.

Mar 13, 2010
Any suggestions on her timing w/ her stride foot land/arm circle position? It looks like her foot is touching a little earlier than what I've seen mentioned on here as optimal. Thanks again.

Honestly? I wouldn't worry about it until you've fixed her opening issue. That is a very small adjustment that can wait. You have bigger things that she needs to fix for both her health and long term pitching future.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
flamethrower, you say on the tape, "I thought that was going to hit me..."

Your work with your DD is fantastic. You are creating a lot of good memories for her and you. You are looking at her form, which you should be doing, so you aren't seeing the ball until after it has left her hand. She has some talent for this. So, each year she will be getting stronger and faster, while you will be getting slower.

Sooner or later, she will hit you. If you are wearing a mask when she does, your DD and you will have a big laugh about it. If you aren't, then you will likely lose a tooth or break your nose, in which case your DD may be so traumatized she might never pitch again.

So, don't you think a $12 mask might be worth the investment?

Feb 4, 2009
On the getting her body fully open, any drill suggestions?

She's my niece btw not DD.

Sluggers, you def have a point on equipment. I sport a couple of nice spots on my shins from her older sister, I'm a slow learner I guess.

Mar 13, 2010
The one I have them do is a very slow walk through. It's very hard for kids these ages to realise how they're doing it wrong and they need to 'feel' it. It really doesn't take that long to get them to change to being open.

The best tool I've found to make them aware of their body is to yell 'stop' halfway through the motion. They have to stop dead immeaditly and this then shows them how their body is. I then adjust their body to how it should be (and I am a woman so it might be different for men and touching the girls) I've had girls who can change it in a half hour timing and I'll watch them two weeks later and they're doing it right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish