8y/o dd swing part 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 21, 2011
I posted a video of my 8y/o dd last spring. She is almost done with her first year of tb now. She struggled the first few tournaments with hitting but she has been on fire since. She has developed a few bad habits along the way. I would like to know what you guys think i should be working on next. She's a really hard worker and she really wants to be the best she can be. Thank you!

View video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452i3cnrzFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dec 21, 2011
I posted a video of my 8y/o dd last spring. She is almost done with her first year of tb now. She struggled the first few tournaments with hitting but she has been on fire since. She has developed a few bad habits along the way. I would like to know what you guys think i should be working on next. She's a really hard worker and she really wants to be the best she can be. Thank you!

View video here

Sorry about the double post. Can't figure out how to delete it. 68 views and no input on what dd needs help with?

May 22, 2012
I'm not qualified to analyze like some here but I was very impressed with her hand path (Like nike swoosh as they say) and her follow through. I'm sure others will jump in. Either way, impressive swing for her age for sure.

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks Stickpile! Dd is one dedicated little girl. She is all about the game. Couldn't be more proud. Now if i could get my boy to be as dedicated as she is....lol. Oh well, just as proud of him anyways!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I'm not qualified either. Heck, I posted videos of my dd yesterday, and with over 200 views, only one person responded! LOL!

Anyway, she looks very determined/disciplined for an 8 year old!! That discipline and determination will go a long way. :)

Dec 11, 2010
I'm not an expert either but I see weight back, awesome lower half, back hip driving hips against firm front leg, awesome rotation and love to see the bend in her top hand at contact. Her hands and elbows seem to do what the best hitters do.

That is an awesome swing, long through the zone as I understand it.

I'm not surprised she hits the ball a ton.

May 16, 2010

View video here

Very nice lower half. Good balance, good rotation.
The only thing I don't like is that she completely extends her front arm to load, and drops the hands a bit and swings with a locked front arm. That can hurt her on fast inside pitches.

Nit picking. She has a lot of the good fundamentals already.

May 25, 2010
68 views and no input on what dd needs help with?
She's 8 and has a naturally good swing. Why would you want anyone to tinker with that? My advice is to not allow anyone to remove the natural athleticism from her swing by overanalyzing and then overcoaching an 8-year-old who can already swing a bat.

I can see that she is tall for her age, but I would suggest a lighter bat - 21oz is what the biggest 10-11yo's are swinging. Her swing starts very slowly, so using the too-big-for-her bats will become a hindrance as she faces faster pitching in 10u.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
She's 8 and has a naturally good swing. Why would you want anyone to tinker with that? My advice is to not allow anyone to remove the natural athleticism from her swing by overanalyzing and then overcoaching an 8-year-old who can already swing a bat.

I say this respectfully; That's just nonsense. A good coach is going to enhance her natural ability. Letting her go on her own may cause her to ingrain a bad motion that will be EXTREMELY difficult to remove, the longer she does it.

The brain likes to repeat things and doesn't like to change. A study was done that showed that it takes 200 to 300 reps to ingrain a complex action, and once it gets ingrained as what some call, "muscle memory", to change that memory to a different motion, it takes 1500 to 3000 reps of the correct new motion. So why not get her making the correct moves as soon as possible, and before any bad movements get into memory?

Her swing is good for 8. It won't be hugely successful at 13 and older as it is. And, natural ability does not always cause the swing to just magically get better. She will continue to swing with what's in memory unless she works hard to change it.

Have you ever watched hackers at a golf driving range hit bucket after bucket of balls, hitting them poorly, over and over. You don't "naturally" get better by just continuing to hit. Same with softball and baseball, the swing doesn't magically change just because you keep playing.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for all your comments. I really do appreciate all of your opinions. My dd is 4'11 and she weighs 94lbs @ 8. She was using a 05 Rocketech @ all winter and at the beginning of the year. It was a 31" 22oz (which was really a 24.5oz) ever since we got the xeno she has been hitting good. She wants to move up to a 32" next year and i told her no way! You might be right softsocdad. But her confidence is sky high with this bat and i won't take that away from her. I think the reason her swing looks slow is because of the way she loads. That is the bad habbit she picked up this year. She does hit alot of balls to the opposite field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole