Happy for my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2019
She’s always been able to make sure she has a spot on the field bc of her catching. She worked hard to become a good catcher when others told her she wasn’t a catcher. She tirelessly worked on her blocking, receiving, set ups, and game situational knowledge. Then her 6th grade year (2021) rolled around and she got flexed almost every game she caught but rarely batted. She decided no one was gonna take her out of the lineup anymore. She started rebuilding her swing fall winter of 2021 before school ball started then getting flexed all season really lit the fire under her. She worked all season long in middle school t work at the house and in cages after practice even though she knew she wouldn’t get to swing it in a game. Her travel season rolled in after middle school and she ended up hitting .409 for the year. She never did hit a home run that season hit it off the fence several times and she wanted to hit a dinger so bad. She is a big strong kid 13 years old 5’10” and built like a middle linebacker. It’s been stressed and stressed to hit for contact home runs will happen just hit the ball hard, but she knows people expect a kid with her size and strength to be able to crank on one. Back to the t and cages all winter and spring as there was no middle school season this year. She has worked o engaging her lower half and getting to extension. She’s got one tourney left this summer with her travel team and she’s got 3 home runs on the year while batting .417 in her first year of 14u. I’m glad she’s seeing results from her work. She deserves a lil payoff. 1st photo is difference between fall of 2020 and spring of 2021 when she rebuilt her swing others are of her and that happy smile holding home run balls.
471539d3e4e48f1bea463efb9f5327d2.jpg

a2aabe49bd474df9241a46f643a1539d.jpg

3d7a0ac2dc90ba83741a16acfc9199a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
Good for her! Congrats! I assume the pict on turf is the HR capable swing and the one on dirt is not?

Mar 21, 2019
Good for her! Congrats! I assume the pict on turf is the HR capable swing and the one on dirt is not?

Well the top is the improved swing. Weight back not dragging the bat through the zone, engaging the lower half and extending through contact. That top pic was last year and that one got put off the fence on a college field with a tall fence. Missed clearing it by about 12” lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Very nice. A lot of what is happening is body awareness and maturity. Yes she is a big girl for her age, and people tend to think she should be hitting like older kids her size. Wrong!!!! Stay the course and the game will reward her. DD is 21 and is still growing into her body. I often wonder what kind of damage she could have done with the body she has now. 8 HR's this past college season. That will be the norm for you kiddo when she hits HS.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
With the hard work she's put in here there is a lot more being learned than how to improve her swing !

Mar 21, 2019
Very nice. A lot of what is happening is body awareness and maturity. Yes she is a big girl for her age, and people tend to think she should be hitting like older kids her size. Wrong!!!! Stay the course and the game will reward her. DD is 21 and is still growing into her body. I often wonder what kind of damage she could have done with the body she has now. 8 HR's this past college season. That will be the norm for you kiddo when she hits HS.

Congrats to your DD! Mine wants to play in college too. I will say there’s been zero pressure from coaches she’s had to hit home runs so that’s a positive. When she hit her first one this year I was more interested in what the next AB would bring. I was proud of her she took a walk. I was proud of her for not looking to hit another one, did what she knows to do at the plate make the pitcher work and only swing at strikes. After the game I told her I was more proud of her walk then her HR she said you’re so weird Dad. I said no babe I know you’ll hit HR’s it was just a matter of time but after being all jacked up and excited to be able to mentally get back where you need to be to have another quality at bat is huge.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Congrats to your DD! Mine wants to play in college too. I will say there’s been zero pressure from coaches she’s had to hit home runs so that’s a positive. When she hit her first one this year I was more interested in what the next AB would bring. I was proud of her she took a walk. I was proud of her for not looking to hit another one, did what she knows to do at the plate make the pitcher work and only swing at strikes. After the game I told her I was more proud of her walk then her HR she said you’re so weird Dad. I said no babe I know you’ll hit HR’s it was just a matter of time but after being all jacked up and excited to be able to mentally get back where you need to be to have another quality at bat is huge.

Now you have a new issue. You now know there is a possibility of a HR at every AB.

Mar 8, 2016
Congratulations. Love to see hard work pay off. I have seen more than one player ruin their approach at the plate by hitting their first HR. Glad that didn't happen.

Oct 4, 2018
Well done. I tell parents all the time that hard work (with good instruction) can change the trajectory of young players. My DD went from below average to excellent in a few short years of hard work. Glad to see others taking the same path.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414