8 Under machine pitch???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
In our league we use a machine to pitch. The pitches are pretty quick. The next year we will be going to the girls pitch? We are the only league in our county that uses pitching machines. Are most 8 and under leagues coach pitch or machine pitch? Just concerned about the transition to pitching next year, cause I've watched the 10 unders and it was walk after walk after walk. What are some concerns about transitioning to live pitching from the machine???

Chad

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Our league is machine pitch 8u. Kid pitch 10u but we do not allow walks, coaches pitch after 4 balls. Honestly the games are very tough to watch or coach for that matter

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We are kid pitch here, at 8U. There are certain rules about if you throw 3 pitches and the batters doesn't strike out, then, the coach pitches. Also, they can only hit 2 batters per inning.

Are the boys still machine pitch at 8 years old?

I have about five 8 yr. old pitchers in lessons, right now.

Apr 24, 2012
We have kids pitch. If the Pitcher walks a batter the coach comes into pitch, strikes stay the same just no walks. After 4 walks the coach pitches the rest of the inning. We also can only hit 2 batters an inning.

We had some really good pitching in our league. You would be surprised how good some of these girls pitch at this age.
This is my Daughter pitching at 7 in her rec league this past spring she has 1 more year at 8U

Oct 19, 2009
I have been coaching young kids now for the past 5 years and I would prefer to see 8u with machine pitch. For the kids who move on to 10u, we spend 2-4 years breaking the bad habits kids develop in coach pitch, swing up at a ball that is arcing down to them.

My oldest dd played coach pitch and we had a tough time getting her swing right once she moved to 10u travel ball. My youngest played machine pitch at 7 and went straight to 10u travel as an 8YO without the bad habits.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Georgia seems to be almost all coach pitch at 8U then kid pitch at 10U, the transition is painful whenever it comes. Its on the coaches to throw the ball hard to teach them to hit flat pitches. If you float it in there you are doing them a disservice. Most kids hit flatter faster pitches better anyway.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is a question man has been struggling with since the dawn of time.

In 8U DD played player pitch with machine backup, no walks. Played against some Teams and pitchers that could not get the ball to the plate so everyone stood around waiting for 4 balls then the machine, can make for a slow game.

10U was player pitch, no machine backup. A lot of games were walk feasts, not a great game.

What seems to help the batters, pitchers and the game the most is the organizations that took “ownership” of the pitching. Pitching clinics, etc.

We play cities next to ours and I could go to a random game of one specific city’s 10U team and they will probably have the best 2 or 3 pitchers on the field. They will all have a changeup or are working on it. Coaches change but their Teams always has pitchers.

When you play them you tell your batters that they better not be waiting for a walk or they are going to be sitting next to you in a few minutes.

IDK, try to fix pitching and hitting will follow.

Apr 30, 2012
In our rec league we have coach pitch. It drives me crazy when the coaches sit there and pitch rainbows. I make sure my coaches pitch a little faster and flat. Its amazing how much better the girls can hit when the pitches are flat.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've never experienced the machine-pitch option so can't comment on that. Only thing I'll add is that I believe it's important for girls who are starting in softball to enjoy it, to want to come back. That's underrated, IMO. If you want to have a strong rec league or to develop really good players, then making them the best player possible at age 8 isn't as important as making softball their favorite sport at age 8.

Therefore, I would be cautious about introducing player pitch too soon. It might make some players better, but others quit out of boredom. A good athlete who starts playing at 7-8 has an excellent chance to be very good at age 12-13 -- if she keeps playing.

I like what Quincy said about organizations that make developing pitchers a priority. When pitchers throw strikes, it's fun.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
To follow on Coogans point, while it may not develop pitcher's as fast, coach pitch 8U is awesome. It's fast paced and high scoring, the kids love it and the learn to love the game. They get lots of at-bats, practice base running and reps in the field. It serves a very vital purpose in instilling the love of the game.

Quincy is correct, Rec organizations have to take ownership in pitching and pride in producing pitchers. Its way more than can be left to volunteer coaches and most crazy bucket dads haven't surfaced yet at that point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd