2nd Footwork

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
lol I guess throwing between your legs is a complicated skill?? lol I guess that's a good thing to teach athletes -- hey if you can't throw between your legs or do the complicated things or have natural body awareness you can't play certain positions... sorry I don't care hard you work you just can't do these things... lol lol yea that sounds like good advise.... nothing meant just not into that idea.. i've had athletes do amazing things both girls and boys... just because of work ethic...

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
lol I guess throwing between your legs is a complicated skill?? lol I guess that's a good thing to teach athletes -- hey if you can't throw between your legs or do the complicated things or have natural body awareness you can't play certain positions... sorry I don't care hard you work you just can't do these things... lol lol yea that sounds like good advise.... nothing meant just not into that idea.. i've had athletes do amazing things both girls and boys... just because of work ethic...

joe, language means something. If a point is made while using proper grammar, it can't be interpreted 360 degrees! It is what it is.

"I will give you a specific example to your point. If I have two girls who want to play SS. The first girl I could tell, "speed up your release!" She would find a way to do what you are saying without too much dissertation. The second girl might ask, "how", and without a picture drawn in the sand, couldn't figure it out! This girl would probably never be able to do it anyway. She will probably be the no. 2 shortstop because she doesn't have the natural body awareness to accomplish complicated skills. I used to throw balls to 2nd base between my legs when necessary and I couldn't straighten up and throw. But how do you teach someone to throw between their legs. It is natural, or it isn't!"

Now perhaps you can point out where it was alluded to that you teach anyone in under any circumstances to throw the ball between their legs? As I said above, you CAN NOT teach these things! So, I would suggest that you nor I try to do so! The post was about teaching, and what can't be taught. If you actually read the thread you will note that it is suggested by me that some students require more, and some students require less input! And there are those students who will never master a skill. Another case in point. Omar Vizquel and Derek Jeter both play SS, and they are both Hall of Famers in my book. But they play the position very differently with completely different styles. One is flashy, and one is "blue-collar". You can't teach Jeter to be Vizquel.

Dec 9, 2011
steve, how do you know anything about baseball? You just said you stop playing baseball at 13 and only played fastpitch. But hang on both Omar and Derek did master a skill but in there own way and own time. Do you know that Jeter wasn't very good when he was a young kid. Now suppose his coach told him son you can't play that position because you can't master the skill. But Derek put hard work and determination into getting better. With your words "will never master the skill" "couldn't figure it out" or the best one "Probably never be able to do it anyway" With all do respect i never tell a athlete they can't do someting but I'm talking about young athletes. I understand your point and respect it but I just don't agree with it...

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
steve, how do you know anything about baseball? You just said you stop playing baseball at 13 and only played fastpitch. But hang on both Omar and Derek did master a skill but in there own way and own time. Do you know that Jeter wasn't very good when he was a young kid. Now suppose his coach told him son you can't play that position because you can't master the skill. But Derek put hard work and determination into getting better. With your words "will never master the skill" "couldn't figure it out" or the best one "Probably never be able to do it anyway" With all do respect i never tell a athlete they can't do someting but I'm talking about young athletes. I understand your point and respect it but I just don't agree with it...

Have you ever heard of an "illogical fallacy"? That is what you are arguing. In fact your whole diatribe is illogical fallacies. First, you are correct, I don't play baseball and haven't since I was 13, though the skills are largely the same. The pivots, the footwork, etc. The throws are quicker and shorter, and ranges are less. But show me a specific skill in baseball in the middle infield unique to the sport? It doesn't mean I don't watch baseball. Secondly, there is NO WHERE in my posts where I propose that NOT KNOWING some specific odd-ball skill like a second baseman throwing to the SS between their legs would preclude someone from not playing a position!

If you take 10 girls and show them skills for the positions, some will get them and some won't. And of those that get them, some will be steady like Jeter, and some will be flashy like Vizquel. You can teach the skills Jeter has, you can't teach Vizquel's, nor would I try to set standards of being able to do back-flips or throwing between your legs as standards for reward. In fact, like you, I have never told a girl she couldn't do something. I have never told a girl she couldn't try! So where you find this delusional idea I do not know.

It seems to me you are trying to pick a fight here over nothing! I am wondering if you actually aren't already registered here under another name?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
If I have two girls who want to play SS. The first girl I could tell, "speed up your release!" She would find a way to do what you are saying without too much dissertation. The second girl might ask, "how", and without a picture drawn in the sand, couldn't figure it out! This girl would probably never be able to do it anyway. She will probably be the no. 2 shortstop because she doesn't have the natural body awareness to accomplish complicated skills" - This says enough on how you would coach the girl who wouldnever be able to do it anyway. Enough said. No not trying to start anything and not someone under another name. Oh, hen you don't have to apologize and your not arguing. I just thought Steve statement was wrong. It's ok to be wrong Steve but I know it's hard for you to accept.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
If I have two girls who want to play SS. The first girl I could tell, "speed up your release!" She would find a way to do what you are saying without too much dissertation. The second girl might ask, "how", and without a picture drawn in the sand, couldn't figure it out! This girl would probably never be able to do it anyway. She will probably be the no. 2 shortstop because she doesn't have the natural body awareness to accomplish complicated skills" - This says enough on how you would coach the girl who wouldnever be able to do it anyway. Enough said. No not trying to start anything and not someone under another name. Oh, hen you don't have to apologize and your not arguing. I just thought Steve statement was wrong. It's ok to be wrong Steve but I know it's hard for you to accept.

Ahh, so you take one quote and make it an indictment? First off, quick hands can be practiced but not taught! You can teach the fundamentals, and after that natural talent rules the day! There are 100,000 kids that are taught how to make a glove-to-hand ball exchange, but 1 of them will ever play professional baseball, at THAT position. They might be better suited to play 1st or 3rd, and if they don't have the power, then play center-field. It they can't run, they can become an umpire!

I am profoundly privileged to have such erudite and intellectual adjudication in this "conviction" process!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
I'm not convicting you of anything. I just didn't agree with your statement. I also don't agree with your statement natural talent rules the day. I have seen many athletes with no natural talent at all with work and determination become very good. Just because you have natural talent doesn't mean anything, actually i've seen natural talent become lazy and under achieve. Character and attitude goes along way in sports. IMO... I think you have some great advise on these pages...IMO just didn't agree with you on certain things and I know you don't agree with me... oh yea I guess you have never been a ump because umps have to run. lol

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm not convicting you of anything. I just didn't agree with your statement. I also don't agree with your statement natural talent rules the day. I have seen many athletes with no natural talent at all with work and determination become very good. Just because you have natural talent doesn't mean anything, actually i've seen natural talent become lazy and under achieve. Character and attitude goes along way in sports. IMO... I think you have some great advise on these pages...IMO just didn't agree with you on certain things and I know you don't agree with me... oh yea I guess you have never been a ump because umps have to run. lol

Actually I agree with everything in this post! Not one exception. And your examples are apparent to me too! I have been doing this on two continents for 38 years. I think I have seen a few phenomena in my time. And I have seen girls struggle and improve. I even wrote about one of my girls in another post. No one wanted her on their rec team. She was chosen last, and I was warned about how bad she was. She tried out as a freshman, and I didn't see it. I saw a girl a little clumsy, but trying very hard. She made the cut. But the beginning of the season she was the starting CF. By April, she was the starting 2B. The following year she pitched and played SS when not pitching. She was the 2nd or 3rd best player I ever coached. She did it with repetitions, not raw talent. And I gave this example in a post for exactly the reasons you are stating. You are jumping to some conclusions.

I might add, that she never threw the ball to the SS between her legs, and I didn't try to teach her. It just wasn't part of her game.

Dec 9, 2011
I myself have seen plenty. I wasn't jumping to no conclusion. I just commented on what you typed. Gosh this girl went from being clumsy and no one wanted to pitching in just over a year??? Pretty impresive. Hard to believe. I have read some of your post agree with some disagree with some.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I myself have seen plenty. I wasn't jumping to no conclusion. I just commented on what you typed. Gosh this girl went from being clumsy and no one wanted to pitching in just over a year??? Pretty impresive. Hard to believe. I have read some of your post agree with some disagree with some.

Amanda worked harder than anyone else! Her dad was Jim Cangelosi, the point guy for Shaquil O'neil at LSU. She understood work ethic. Believe it or not, her older sister was much more talented in softball, but she was a real "barbie" and didn't stay with the sport. She was a natural at everything, and Amanda had to work her behind off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck