2nd Footwork

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
On a double play situation (2 - 1), when the 2nd baseman receives the ball from SS or 3b, what footwork do you have her do to get the throw over to first base? Do you have her continue through the base and throw the ball from in front of the bag, or do you have her take a step backwards and throw to first from behind the bag.

Thanks,

T

Sep 21, 2011
My preferred mechanic is get to the bag early, set up with left foot on left field side of base, step with right foot to receive the ball (clearing the baserunner to the infield side), step with left foot to throw to first. A couple advantages to this method:
1. F4 is more protected from a hard slide by being on the far side of the base.
2. If the feed is offline a bit, F4 can move in front of the runner and may have an easier time getting to the ball.

That being said, they should practice it both ways because sometimes they don't have time to get into this preferred position and will have to do it the other way.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Middle Infield Pivots

1) Kaizen is right about getting to the bag as soon as you can. Players should be breaking immediately as if they are going after the ball; they are! But there is one important element: The bag should be approached IN LINE with the throw as much as possible,moving directly at the thrower, and across the bag directly at the throw. This promotes good balance and timing after the catch! This will almost always mean approaching the bag in an arc. You've shot ducks on a pond before at the carney's tent, but it isn't appropriate for softball. Get at least one out!
2) ALL THROWS for all pivots, are received, when possible, while stepping on the left foot.
3) As the fielder approaches the bag, hands should be up, together, and the fielder yelling "hit me" to give an auditory clue to the thrower. It will help focus and accuracy.

SECOND BASE PIVOTS: Choosing the pivot depends on three things including timing, but primarily momentum and distance. If the throw is long, then a cross-over is more viable. If the throw is close such as a shorter "sit-down pivot throw" from the SS, or an under-hand flip, then I have her do a push-back so as not to "pinch" the short throw. If she is late to the bag, the "push-back" is used, if early, the cross-over. From 3B the cross-over is often safer defensively because on a wide throw, the trailing leg can still often be used to drag over the bag or reach to touch a corner. In time, instincts will take over. In executing the cross-over pivot, the left foot should step on the far side of the bag (this is better in wet or muddy conditions and also extends the stride further across the base-line onto the other side of the bag and out of the way of a sliding runner.

* On push-back pivots, if the player has very quick hands, I do not teach her to step forward and push back off the bag. I have her stop a half a step (so to speak) behind the bag, reach out and tap the bag, as she receives the throw, with her left foot. This is a lot quicker than two weight transitions from the left foot, back onto the right foot, and then the step on the left foot toward 1B. So it is a "tap-step" and is quicker.

SHORTSTOP PIVOTS: There is an "outside", and a lesser used "inside" pivot for the SS at 2b to receive throws from P and 1B. But they are essentially similar in that both use a step by the left foot first.

OUTSIDE PIVOTS - In the outside pivot the step is across the CENTER of the bag directly at the thrower. The right foot then drags across the bag and BEHIND the left foot as the fielder pivots on the left leg, rotating toward 1b. The following step on the left foot is directly at 1b. There is a variation that is a "kick-pivot" that is less reliable on wide throws, but easy to learn. Also, the shoulders don't orient directly toward 1b, staying partly "closed" (facing 1b). The right toe kicks the corner of the bag as it passes by going into a crow-hop in front of the left leg.

INSIDE PIVOT - steps against the bag with the left foot to redirect toward 1b. The "inside" pivot can not be made AT the throw; obviously!

Click photos to enlarge!​

SECOND BASE PIVOTS
2nd Base Pivots.jpg
OUTSIDE PIVOT
SS Outside.jpg
OUTSIDE KICK-PIVOT
SS Kick pivot.jpg
INSIDE PIVOT
SS Inside.jpg

Attachments

• 2nd Base Pivots.jpg
    2nd Base Pivots.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Thanks, assuming you are talking to both of us! I am going to re-post my message with photos.

Yes, I was absolutely talking to both of you...thank you so much. Proper, efficient footwork is tough to teach, mainly because not many know there actually is a better way to stand, approach, receive, etc. Any education and knowledge on the subject is appreciated. Thanks again.

hen

Dec 1, 2010
I like a lot of the points brought up. If I may add...

In my experience, girls arriving late at the bag are quicker coming across the bag rather than trying to stop all their momentum and then reversing it (push back). I suggest you try both and see for yourself.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding early, but if early and waiting on the bag, I've usually seen the push back method.

I can't stress enough to practice feeding 2B a bunch of bad throws in practice because we all know they don't all come perfect in the game. For balls to the 1B side, I go with stepping out to the ball w/the left foot and dragging the right foot along the base. To the left field side use the opposite footwork. Do what you can with high balls. For low/dirt balls, step over the bag with the left and drag with the right as Steve instructed and try to get a short hop.

If she can get a some momentum towards 1B when executing the push back or crossover (instead of going directly toward 3B dugout or RF), she'll be able to get a little more oompf on the throws. Watch out for those that get a HUGE push back towards RF where they look like they're jumping back.

Lastly, for the SS turns, if shes getting a throw from the inside of the infield (i.e. P & 1B), I'd go with the inside pivot. Otherwise you'd risk throwing across the runner (especially 1B), not to mention it is a better approach angle.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I can't stress enough to practice feeding 2B a bunch of bad throws in practice because we all know they don't all come perfect in the game. For balls to the 1B side, I go with stepping out to the ball w/the left foot and dragging the right foot along the base. To the left field side use the opposite footwork. Do what you can with high balls. For low/dirt balls, step over the bag with the left and drag with the right as Steve instructed and try to get a short hop.

No problem here!

Lastly, for the SS turns, if shes getting a throw from the inside of the infield (i.e. P & 1B), I'd go with the inside pivot. Otherwise you'd risk throwing across the runner (especially 1B), not to mention it is a better approach angle.

This is exactly what I said. Any throw from inside the infield or baselines necessitates and "inside-pivot". As mentioned above, ""inside" pivot for the SS at 2b to receive throws from P and 1B. But they are essentially similar in that both use a step by the left foot first."

In my experience, girls arriving late at the bag are quicker coming across the bag rather than trying to stop all their momentum and then reversing it (push back). I suggest you try both and see for yourself.

That is an extra distance. From the right foot plant, that is two steps forward of about 6-7 feet. A touch and step is about the time of one step. They aren't extended steps, and as you pointed out the push-back should not be long. The girl in the photo is for demonstration, and she is a 16 yr old outfielder. The cross-over necessitates longer steps, even by your explanation. Secondly, there is a deceleration on both sides of the bag, push-back or cross-over! So in my opinion this is quicker. The compromise is that the throw has a little less "oomf", as you said, than a cross-over. I have tried both, all options because I played Men's fast-pitch 19 years, 14 as a SS, and 2 as a 2nd baseman, 2 at 3rd, and my first year at age 14 as a center-fielder. I never played baseball after age 13.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding early, but if early and waiting on the bag, I've usually seen the push back method

I teach the cross-over because it gets the fielder out of the way of the base-runner more. The throw is often late, if they are there early, so the cross-over works like a force out at 2nd base with 2 outs! The fielder just catches the ball and runs OUT OF the play. If throwing to 1b, the fielder can make a stronger throw. I do not consider your suggestion bad, just a difference of opinion.

If she can get a some momentum towards 1B when executing the push back or crossover (instead of going directly toward 3B dugout or RF), she'll be able to get a little more oompf on the throws. Watch out for those that get a HUGE push back towards RF where they look like they're jumping back.

This I have a real problem with! The first out is what is important. The footwork initiating a throw by "cutting the corner" does not bode well for a wild throw. The step should be directly at the throw, or ball. Secondly, the footwork when you cut the corner when doing the cross-over determines the release! The feet move faster than the hands in this case, and the hands should determine the release since they throw the ball. The feet can be sped up to the hands, but not visa verse. I think the step back can incorporate some cheating, but efficiency and repetition promotes this. I don't teach it. The player will FIND it.

Last edited:

hen

Dec 1, 2010
This is exactly what I said. Any throw from inside the infield or baselines necessitates and "inside-pivot". As mentioned above, ""inside" pivot for the SS at 2b to receive throws from P and 1B. But they are essentially similar in that both use a step by the left foot first."

I apologize I totally missed this in your original post!

That is an extra distance. From the right foot plant, that is two steps forward of about 6-7 feet. A touch and step is about the time of one step. They aren't extended steps, and as you pointed out the push-back should not be long. The girl in the photo is for demonstration, and she is a 16 yr old outfielder. The cross-over necessitates longer steps, even by your explanation. Secondly, there is a deceleration on both sides of the bag, push-back or cross-over! So in my opinion this is quicker.

Not trying to argue here, just sharing my experience. Admittedly I should've explained better. When I meant late I assumed she's arriving pretty much with the ball and running at a good pace. 2b would receive and step on the bag with the left foot, hard plant the right foot after it steps over the bag, and throw. Essentially a mirror image of the step back. I will concede that if you're not running at a good pace the step back will be quicker.

I teach the cross-over because it gets the fielder out of the way of the base-runner more. The throw is often late, if they are there early, so the cross-over works like a force out at 2nd base with 2 outs! The fielder just catches the ball and runs OUT OF the play. If throwing to 1b, the fielder can make a stronger throw. I do not consider your suggestion bad, just a difference of opinion.

You bring up a great point about the throw coming late. I'm definitely on board with that scenario. As far as getting the fielder further out of the way, I'd argue that you can get the same distance if not more doing the push back, but I will say that most runners don't slide to the inside so you'd probably be safer there.

This I have a real problem with! The first out is what is important. The footwork initiating a throw by "cutting the corner" does not bode well for a wild throw. The step should be directly at the throw, or ball. Secondly, the footwork when you cut the corner when doing the cross-over determines the release! The feet move faster than the hands in this case, and the hands should determine the release since they throw the ball. The feet can be sped up to the hands, but not visa verse. I think the step back can incorporate some cheating, but efficiency and repetition promotes this. I don't teach it. The player will FIND it.

Haha again, my fantastic explanation skills probably set off some alarms here. I am 100% with you when you say the first out is important. I was not advocating a move like how the SS usually do, I was trying to suggest that getting even a little momentum towards 1B can get a little more behind it. For instance, instead of getting all the momentum directly to back towards RF on a push back, get the right foot to step behind the left foot or even cross behind the left foot (assuming a good throw). The step isn't much bigger and as you said, the feet are usually quicker anyway. Of course with a strong arm, you could always just catch, step toward 1B with the left foot and get rid of it =D

One last thing to add (and I'm quite sure you'd agree) is to make sure they're on/approaching the bag with knees bent and anticipating bad throws

Great topic!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I apologize I totally missed this in your original post!

2) Not trying to argue here, just sharing my experience. Admittedly I should've explained better. When I meant late I assumed she's arriving pretty much with the ball and running at a good pace. 2b would receive and step on the bag with the left foot, hard plant the right foot after it steps over the bag, and throw. Essentially a mirror image of the step back. I will concede that if you're not running at a good pace the step back will be quicker.

4) Haha again, my fantastic explanation skills probably set off some alarms here. I am 100% with you when you say the first out is important. I was not advocating a move like how the SS usually do, I was trying to suggest that getting even a little momentum towards 1B can get a little more behind it. For instance, instead of getting all the momentum directly to back towards RF on a push back, get the right foot to step behind the left foot or even cross behind the left foot (assuming a good throw). The step isn't much bigger and as you said, the feet are usually quicker anyway. Of course with a strong arm, you could always just catch, step toward 1B with the left foot and get rid of it =D

Well when more clearly explained or specific, I concur with your second explanation 2) above. And on 4), I don't teach these things, because I believe a girl finds her comfort zone. I may be a little different from most coaches, in that I teach a hybrid in hitting, and always have. But, I also teach some girls specifically "linear" hitting that have issues. Some girls have quiet hands and hit well, and I say nothing. I teach their teammates that drop their hands, or flip the bat head back and drag it, to load their hands, moving them back and pointing the knob at the catcher. I sometimes have girls ask, "why didn't you teach me that"? I ask them, "why do you need it?" So I don't teach nuances that they will achieve on their own. I do the same thing in pitching. Quirks that don't interfere with performance, or add to fatigue, I say nothing about. I just smile!

I will give you a specific example to your point. If I have two girls who want to play SS. The first girl I could tell, "speed up your release!" She would find a way to do what you are saying without too much dissertation. The second girl might ask, "how", and without a picture drawn in the sand, couldn't figure it out! This girl would probably never be able to do it anyway. She will probably be the no. 2 shortstop because she doesn't have the natural body awareness to accomplish complicated skills. I used to throw balls to 2nd base between my legs when necessary and I couldn't straighten up and throw. But how do you teach someone to throw between their legs. It is natural, or it isn't!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32