2nd and SS Starting Positions – Rec. League

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Ktowncoach, that happens because there is no stealing in 8U so 8U kids actually no things like where to get forceouts. When the get to 10U (especially in Rec) the force out gets forgotten because it so rarely happens since 2B generally gets swiped on the first or second pitch. That doesn't surprise me at all.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
This question pertains to a 10U and 12U rec. Teams, runner on 1st base.

Team is not going to get a double play, 2nd to 1st is not going to happen unless the batter falls over a few times on their way to 1st base and we get lucky. The Team is looking for an out, and only 1 out, at 1st or 2nd base.

With that in mind I do not think the 2nd or SS should move closer to 2nd base when there is a runner on 1st. SS can move back a little but probably can stay in the same left/ right position. 2nd can just stay where they are at without any adjustment. Ball hit towards 2nd throw it there; otherwise the ball goes to 1st.

Does this make sense?

(Where I am ultimately heading is mostly worrying about fielders distance from the plate and not so much their distance from their base, distance from the base stays the same.)

IMO, you have the fielders decently positioned. However, I've always taught that if the ball is hit to the left side of the field, got to 2nd. Anywhere else in the IF go 1. Obviously, there are exceptions to the every rule but for the most part, this is the way we played all the way through 12u. One exception would be if the runner from 1st to 2nd was more than 3/4 of the way when they fielded the ball...then they'd go to 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck