2nd and SS Starting Positions – Rec. League

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This question pertains to a 10U and 12U rec. Teams, runner on 1st base.

Team is not going to get a double play, 2nd to 1st is not going to happen unless the batter falls over a few times on their way to 1st base and we get lucky. The Team is looking for an out, and only 1 out, at 1st or 2nd base.

With that in mind I do not think the 2nd or SS should move closer to 2nd base when there is a runner on 1st. SS can move back a little but probably can stay in the same left/ right position. 2nd can just stay where they are at without any adjustment. Ball hit towards 2nd throw it there; otherwise the ball goes to 1st.

Does this make sense?

(Where I am ultimately heading is mostly worrying about fielders distance from the plate and not so much their distance from their base, distance from the base stays the same.)

Feb 3, 2011
If there's a weak hitter, I'd recommend defense in. Strong hitter, defense further from the plate. Play is at 1B.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The throw to second for the force is a shorter throw for the 3B, SS, and, sometimes, the 2B too. There's no reason to not at least teach them to think about going for the out at second, especially if its the easier play. Why not teach and position them the right way when they're young? It can be difficult to unlearn something later. Not the same thing, but a good example - there's a good U18 P that just commited to a D3 school (although actually recruited by D1-D3s) who is struggling to break the old habit of "looking at the runner on third" on a comebacker to the mound with less than 2 outs. She always "looks at the runner" but most of the time she just looks and ends up throwing to first regardless of whether the runner is fully commited to home or fallen down, asleep naked, etc. and dead to rights for an easy out at the plate. It all goes back to how she was first taught - get the out at first!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
With that in mind I do not think the 2nd or SS should move closer to 2nd base when there is a runner on 1st. SS can move back a little but probably can stay in the same left/ right position. 2nd can just stay where they are at without any adjustment. Ball hit towards 2nd throw it there; otherwise the ball goes to 1st.

Well this is interesting, and I see some good points but I would like to offer some issues for consideration. I don't like my infielders moving before the ball passes the plate. That is true at every level, and more feasible in softball than baseball because of the size of the field. That being said, what do you do on a steal?

I have my SS or 2B cheat toward 2nd base, close enough to arrive and set up for the throw, but stationary until the ball passes the plate. On a ball hit, even the position just vacated would likely be out of range to field a ball if the runner leaves early. So the fielding range is cramped up the middle, and you will end up with a 1st and 3rd situation if the ball goes through a newly created hole.

The pitcher and batter determine which player covers the steal. I had a freshman pitcher one year who allowed 2 fly balls to LF the whole season. She burned the outside corner with fastballs, drops, and change-ups. (And no that is not the only location she threw). As a result when she was throwing I had my SS cover. Changing pitch to pitch is a little complicated for the middle infield, but of course we do this at older levels. For younger kids I think it is too much.

I want to say that Greenmonsters beat me to the punch, and his point is right on about the shorter throw. I really enjoyed his post. For this reason I usually had my SS move back 2 steps with a runner on 1B. The 2B player has to cover bunt throws to 1B. If the 2B is assigned to cover steal throws, then the pitcher had better be a decent fielder and thrower (overhand) and understand that she has the responsibility to field normal bunts down the 1st baseline.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would like SS to cover second base for all steals. The only time the SS would get a throw down to them is if there is only a runner on first base, situation actual happens quite a bit. I can see sneaking the SS towards second base if there is only a runner on 1st to field the steal, currently want the 2nd baseperson to stay where they are at and out of the way. KISS

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would like SS to cover second base for all steals. The only time the SS would get a throw down to them is if there is only a runner on first base, situation actual happens quite a bit. I can see sneaking the SS towards second base if there is only a runner on 1st to field the steal, currently want the 2nd baseperson to stay where they are at and out of the way. KISS

KISS for you or the kids and why? Are the girls that age less capable of the boys, who are taught the right way? I'd rather teach them the right way and maybe sacrifice some Ws from poor execution as they learn to do it properly. I think you may be selling your players short and not doing them any favors. BTW, how do the other players learn and gain confidence with a "SS/best player" takes any ball she can mentality. This is one reason why I'm advocate of having girls play BB with the boys thru at least age 10.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last year we had 4 outfields and the rover covered 2nd base on all plays. DD and some other players need to be re-taught how to play SS and 2nd base.

Just trying to figure it out, I am not sure what you read into what I posted that got you wound up.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Leave the players in position. Move SS back as you were thinking as you are playing an angle. Both will have to be quick and mentally ready at all times as the base runner has the advantage of leading off and sliding. If you are playing a team that has not worked on sliding (more common in RB) then get the lead runner at 2nd. Teach and work dills for the middle infield about who gets the ball and who covers to get the out. This is a timing play and the girls must learn to develop a throw to their partner while on the run not waiting until the other arrives at the base. If the team you are playing slides and leads off well....The out is at first. We get outs and 2nd. My DD got another one this last week at 2. Made the remaining runners lose a step when coming in from 1st which limited bases and helped us. All it takes is one time to change the opposing teams perspective on aggressive base running.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Last year we had 4 outfields and the rover covered 2nd base on all plays. DD and some other players need to be re-taught how to play SS and 2nd base.

Just trying to figure it out, I am not sure what you read into what I posted that got you wound up.

You just answered your own question! Why not just teach them the right way so that they don't have to re-learn it again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck