10U Rec. Fall Ball Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For fall ball DD is going to be reunited with a coach that is very loud and opinionated. He is a part time instructor, mostly hitting. DD was on a Team with him a couple years ago.

Really nice person, we run into each other a lot at the fields. Occasionally we discuss hitting. Last fall after both Teams were done practicing my DD helped his DD start pitching.

He will not let kids play ball. When they step into the batter’s box he asks them to adjust something, if they swing he asks them to adjust something. My DD does not perform well under these conditions, learned this from my own over coaching mistakes.

He is also going to hate how DD swings the bat and try to change it and I am going to change it back. I can see my poor DD’s head spinning.

Not sure what to do.

Sep 3, 2009
For fall ball DD is going to be reunited with a coach that is very loud and opinionated. He is a part time instructor, mostly hitting. DD was on a Team with him a couple years ago.

Really nice person, we run into each other a lot at the fields. Occasionally we discuss hitting. Last fall after both Teams were done practicing my DD helped his DD start pitching.

He will not let kids play ball. When they step into the batter’s box he asks them to adjust something, if they swing he asks them to adjust something. My DD does not perform well under these conditions, learned this from my own over coaching mistakes.

He is also going to hate how DD swings the bat and try to change it and I am going to change it back. I can see my poor DD’s head spinning.

Not sure what to do.

Talk to him and in as nice as terms possible thank him for coaching, tell him how you respect his coaching ability, but that you and your daughter have been working on a hitting philosophy and since this is only rec ball you would appreciate him not trying to change her swing. I'm sure there are plenty of other girls on the team who can benefit from his coaching.

I've coached spring and fall rec for the past few years and I can honestly say that if a parent asked me to not teach their DD a particular way then I'd say no problem and be glad that I have more time to devote individually with other kids. Although, if I completely disagreed with their method I would want to discuss it first and try to convince them why I didn't concur with it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
He is a really nice person just a bit too intense for my liking. He is also going to be right about trying to change how DD swings, just do not have time to work on it right now so I want to leave her alone.

I do not know the Manager, I have watched a few of his games and practices and have liked what I have seen.

It is going to be interesting.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
At this age I think the girls are old enough to start figuring out what works for them. I tell my DD and the girls I coach that there are different ways of doing most things and there is not necessarily one correct way that fits everyone.

If what coach is trying to teach her doesn't work for her just remind DD to smile, nod, and do what works.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA