you make the call!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Runner on first less than two outs, pitcher starts motion ump in field calls dead ball saying that runner left first early. Home plate ump says he had an illegal pitch for hopping and over rules field ump. Runner on first advances to 2nd then on next pitch batter hits a single scoring runner from 2nd. Did the umps make the right call?

Jun 22, 2008
It kind of depends, if the illegal pitch occured prior to the runner leaving early, such as a double touch, stepping on with hands together etc, then you enforce both infractions. Runners is out, ball to the batter. But, once a runner leaves early, it is a no pitch situation. I find it hard to believe the runner could have left while the pitcher was in the air but before the ball was released.

Mar 11, 2009
I agree with comp that if the batter left early(before ball was released) then what ever happened after that didn't matter, runner should have been out, and actual pitch didn't count. But that isn't how the home plate ump saw it.

Nov 1, 2009
The ball was dead the second the runner left early. The only way it could have been an illegal pitch that happened before the runner left the base is if it was a foot leaving the rubber prior to wind up or if she didn't bring her hands back together prior to starting her pitch. In most cases the runner would be out and no pitch would be called.

Nov 1, 2009
But, I don't see anyway that both an illegal pitch and a runner called out for leaving early could happen on the same pitch.

Jun 22, 2008
I just described the situations where you could have both. An illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball. If the pitcher steps onto the pitching plate with the hands together, or double touches the ball, it is a delayed dead ball and if the pitcher delivers the pitch the batter has the right to hit the pitch. Since it is a delayed dead ball, the play is still live and if the runner then leaves early it is an immediate dead ball. The runner is out for leaving early and the batter is awarded a ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06