Would you dare try to teach this move? skip to the 2 minute mark.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
Joey Cuhna at https://thesystem.farm/ is a hitting coach on all the socials. He teaches the scissor extensively. He even goes for far as to put hitters on plastic mats to make it easier to feel the move. He goes deep into this argument. The idea is compelling, but I'm not completely sold on training the move.

May 29, 2015
Scissor kick is an adjustment mostly bc you’re early or you shift too much weight forward. Gurus have tried to change it to be a mechanic. NOT. You see it mostly w Lattas’ guys or guys who train at a 50/50 launch position. They get too far forward waiting for an outside or offspeed pitch. Eventually you dont learn true timing and hit everything out front. Can hinder adjustability imo.

I don't usually venture into these types of threads too often, as I'm no longer a coach or a guru on anything that isn't written down. ;)

As I was poking through here, I kept thinking, "nobody is mentioning weight transfer." Page 2, no weight transfer. Almost through page 3 ... finally!

Moving the back foot out ensures there is no weight on it. It seems to me to be more of a result than a driver. However ... just as you said ... I can see teaching this improperly leading to full transfer too fast.

But what do I know? I'm going back behind the plate now.

Jun 8, 2016
Some good hitters scissor, some good hitter's back foot comes towards the plate (Bonds) and some good hitters barely release their back foot (Thome)

There was a small period of time (3 years ago or so) where DD actually moved her middle out a good amount (perhaps a bit too much) and she actually scissored a bit on some swings.

Certainly doesn't have that "issue" anymore :cautious:

Some instructors/gurus need to realize that it is ok if they don't come up with their own theory of hitting...

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Some good hitters scissor, some good hitter's back foot comes towards the plate (Bonds) and some good hitters barely release their back foot (Thome)

There was a small period of time (3 years ago or so) where DD actually moved her middle out a good amount (perhaps a bit too much) and she actually scissored a bit on some swings.

Certainly doesn't have that "issue" anymore :cautious:

Some instructors/gurus need to realize that it is ok if they don't come up with their own theory of hitting...

Money and ego make the world go round. 🤷🏽‍♂️

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The one thing that the scissor does is keep the "down to" within the s-plane but it leaks the transfer of allowing the hips to extend.

yZMAjfj.gif

B7lvQZi.gif